Sipping forever?

MeNotYou
on 3/3/12 2:55 am
 You know how with pretty much any of the surgeries they tell you to SIP SIP SIP your water. Well, after you are all healed, do you still have to sip? This may seem like a dumb question, but I'm a guzzler and wondering if that would harm me at all.

IdaMae D.
on 3/3/12 4:06 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hello!
It depends on the person.  My hubby who had his surgery 6 yrs 3 months ago cannot guzzle, still has to sip and can't drink anything cold - always needs to be room temp or hot.

I'm not a guzzler but I can drink faster and more than he can.  I'm 2 years out.  I can also drink hot, cold, ice cold, etc.  where he cannot.
Ida

IdaMae

Patricia R.
on 3/3/12 8:48 pm - Perry, MI
 I am like Ida.  I don't guzzle, but I am able to take bigger than sips of liquids, and I can drink any temperature, except scorching hot.  I have to wait for my coffee to cool.  I like to drink my water out of sport bottles, because it allows me to take the right size sips of water.  Plus, I don't have to keep taking off and putting on the caps.  Just a suggestion.

By the way, there is no dumb question.  Keep asking.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Laureen S.
on 3/4/12 9:24 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
No dumb questions. . .

Ok, you heard from a couple on here. . .  I think the further out, the need to sip is determined on the individual, but I can tell you, I can now drink without sipping, however, I remember one time when I was about 9 months out, where I accidentally gulped down some liquid and the pain I had was the absolute worst.  Like others, I still prefer my liquids, either hot or room tempature, though in the summer I can tolerate really cold things.  Also, as we learned in support group on Saturday, straws are a no no in the first 6 months, due to air and the possibility of taking in too much liquid and another thing the nutritionist pointed out is that we really should stay away from soda, as even the diet ones are now being linked to gaining of weight.

Good luck on your journey.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Cherish F.
on 3/4/12 11:54 pm - Philadelphia, PA
I can also add that as time goes on you stop thinking about it and it is just second nature. After I read your post I had to stop and question if I sip or gulp. I definitely sip.
It's just become a habit. And after the once or twice early on that I did gulp and become uncomfortable -it was easy to learn to sip.
 Cherish
Consult Weight/ Surgery Weight/Current Weight/  Goal Weight, Reached 4/7/11!!
     294                     286.5                     165.5                     164

Full abdominoplasty & Breast Reduction/Lift - 4/9/12!

Even miracles take a little time. ~ Cinderella

Lisa H.
on 3/5/12 9:47 pm - Whitehall, PA
 Hi there... I am a guzzler.. There were a few months where I did not guzzle in the beginning.  But, now I do.  

My original surgeon told me that I should water log when I thought I was hungry.  He told me to just drink as much as I could until I felt full.  

As you can see from the responses, though, everyone is different.  

I can guzzle for sure now.  Now, to get my water in... working on it now!

My tracker

hers 

MeNotYou
on 3/6/12 4:21 am
 Thanks for the replies everyone :) I guess there's only one way to know for sure....try it when I'm far enough out from surgery. NOT anytime soon, tho.
Laureen S.
on 3/6/12 10:03 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Just one word of caution. . .  our surgey makes the stoma smaller, gulping can enlarge it and subsequently makes the opening larger which can make your food pass through quicker and I do believe that can create problems, such as the ability to eat more down the road. . .

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

Cherish F.
on 3/6/12 10:19 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Laureen - I don't understand how gulping a liquid can stretch your stoma.
Liquid would run right through, wouldn't it?
 Cherish
Consult Weight/ Surgery Weight/Current Weight/  Goal Weight, Reached 4/7/11!!
     294                     286.5                     165.5                     164

Full abdominoplasty & Breast Reduction/Lift - 4/9/12!

Even miracles take a little time. ~ Cinderella

Laureen S.
on 3/6/12 10:33 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Gulping brings in lots of air, thereby creating great pressure, which over time can cause damage. . .  believe me the pain I felt when I gulped tells me that while liquid passes through. . . the pressure of that pain taught me something and large quanties, whether water or food stretch the stoma, it still causes an expansion

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views