Need to be talked off the ledge...

Jackie Fisher
on 2/26/12 10:24 am - PA
I know that we have discussed this so many times in the support group meetings, but it is officially starting to take a toll on me!! HAIR LOSS!! OH-EM-GEE! It is getting really bad! I am trying to stay positive and I am totally excited to have lost 77 lbs in almost 4 months and I would do it all over again, but WOW really!? 
  My hair is like "my thing." I am one of those crazy people that will sob in the hair salon over a bad haircut.  It is just something I have always been so proud of and has made me feel good about myself. Can someone honestly tell me what is "normal?" I just cleaned out my brush and brushed my hair. No lie, I pulled a hair ball out of my brush the size of a baseball!!! Arghhh! 

Sorry, I know this is something that I should just take with a grain of salt and I know it will stop and that I won't go bald, but sheesh! I guess I just needed a little reassurance..

Jackie
"Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present."

-Jackie

steffihope
on 2/26/12 9:41 pm - Philadelphia, PA
 First and foremost, BREATHE!  I know there are things along this journey that we would like to do without.  However, hair loss is a MAJOR issue amongst our community.  I know several people who went and got a shorter hair cut to psychologically deal with the loss.  When you don't have as much hair, you don't lose as much and the amount you see in your brush will be lessened and therefore not as upsetting.  

Check with your stylist and she what she reccomends for a shorter haircut.  And yes, it will improve, and I know that we have mentioned it at support group, if you look around you will notice that none of us went bald and we all come out of it the other end with more hair than what we started with.

dit657
on 2/26/12 9:44 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Ok - first - stop panicking!! Lol!! You're going to be fine and hair loss is totally normal at this stage. I thought I was going to be one of the lucky ones who didn't lose her hair but at 4 months I started thinning terribly - mostly around my face. Was I happy about it? Good heavens NO!! But I had my hairdresser style it so it wasn't as obvious and life went on.

My hair was very fine and stick straight. When it came back it was thicker, fuller and had a lot more body. And it started coming back at about 6-7 months post-op.

Your body has gone through a major shock and this is a very normal reaction. Some women use Nioxin and things like that - it helped some but not others. I would suggest a different style for a while - but trust me it will come back.

And congratulations on the weight loss!! This is really what it's all about - not the hair loss.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
bvohl
on 2/26/12 10:04 pm
Jackie,

This too shall pass!! I was lucky to not have lost that much hair....

This is only temporary! Keep on successing!!!!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

jastypes
on 2/26/12 11:15 pm - Croydon, PA
Breathe, Jackie.  Here's a hug for you.  {{{{{ Jackie }}}}}  You're okay.  You are right where you are supposed to be.  Good to know it is normal and others have gone through it.  You can call Barix and get a recommendation from the surgeon or nutritionist for special supplements or hair products that might help some.  You're not crazy.  We all have some  "vanity" issues.  You are okay. 

77 pounds in 4 months?  Wow, girl, that is completely awesome!  Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday, where I'm sure you'll get more input on the hair loss issue.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Laureen S.
on 2/27/12 12:49 am - Maple Shade, NJ
{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

All normal for where you are at. . .  your hair will come back and you will be thinner, healthier and have more beautiful locks of hair then ever!!!

See you Saturday :)

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Jackie Fisher
on 2/27/12 6:50 pm - PA

Hugs all around!

This is why I love all of you!!
Thanks for the support!!

Jackie

"Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present."

-Jackie

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 2/29/12 6:09 am
Make sure you are taking all your supplements, drinking lots of water, getting lots of fresh air into lungs, getting all your protein and it should turn around quickly.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

LindaScrip
on 3/4/12 9:52 am
Jackie we promise you it will grow back but try a layered medium haircut and you will be surprised how it will grow back.  Make sure all vitamins and protein .  I know your pain but it will grow back.  We swear. And congrads on your weight loss keep up the wonderful work!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views