I feel so grateful today.

jastypes
on 2/15/12 10:48 pm - Croydon, PA

I am feeling incredibly grateful today.  When I got sober, a little over 20 months ago, I was helped along by a woman, also named Jill, who had developed alcoholism after gastric bypass surgery, just like me.  She had her surgery about a year prior to mine, and she developed alcoholism shortly after that.  She was several months sober at the time when she prayed with me for the obsession to be lifted, but then shortly after that, she went back out.  I have seen her in and out of the rooms for the past 2 years.  She was at the meeting I went to last night, and she once again has 4 days sober. 

I met my sponsee, Becky, almost a year ago.  She had gastric bypass surgery about a year after I did, and she also developed alcoholism after that surgery.  I’ve been watching her struggle to get and stay sober.  She again has 1 day sober. 

And I see myself sandwiched in between these women.  I feel so grateful and blessed and fortunate to be able to say I have 20 months sober.  I know my journey wasn’t easy.  It has had its share of twists and turns, successes and struggles.  Last night, as I spoke to the other Jill, I had an overwhelming sense of gratitude.  I have no idea why God decided to help me get and stay sober.  I have no idea why I am so blessed while my two friends still struggle.  But I do know that I have a tremendous reason to be grateful today and every day I am free from the obsession to drink, for every sober moment I am graced with.  I pray that I may never ever take my sobriety for granted.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Patricia R.
on 2/15/12 11:22 pm - Perry, MI
 Good Morning Jill,
I have a ton of gratitude for my two plus years of sobriety.  I am so grateful that I was released of the obsession to drink back in rehab.  I surrendered and God released me that very day.  

I was in the hospital when my two year anniversary arrived, and too crippled to attend the anniversary meeting at the end of January, so a friend got me my coin.  Yesterday made 25 moths of sobriety.  

I understand your gratitude.  Be sure to surround yourself with women with a lot of quality sobriety, in addition to those with a few days.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Laureen S.
on 2/16/12 4:08 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Jill,

I am so grateful that you are sober today and living life free of the obession to drink, as well as having you in my circle of life and I also understand, having watched good friends struggle with their addictions, after having sober times and all I know is that I pray for those that struggle, just as others have prayed for me when I struggled with my own demons, whether they be food, drugs, alcohol, sex or whatever it was at the time.  Life is fragile, I think it is by accepting the gift of God's grace that helps me maintain my gratitude and not ask, why am I blessed, because we all have the opportunity for God's grace, it is whether we allow ourselves to receive it that gives us the freedom from the obession. . .  I will pray for your friends to allow themselves to receive that grace.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

steffihope
on 2/16/12 4:21 am - Philadelphia, PA
 Jill - I am always moved by your honesty and excitement in the things you have accomplished and overcome.  For me, while I would not say that I had an alcohol addiction, I could have easily seen myself heading down that road.  I had to stop drinking cold turkey last July when I was diagnosed bi-polar.  I was told that in no way was I able ot drink on the medication my doctor was putting me on.  I went in to this new phase with my eyes wide open.  I was never much of a drinker prior to my RNY, so I expected it to not be that big of a deal to do so after.  What I found out was for the most part, it is true - I am usually fine at functions when others are drinking.  My problems stir up with sitting at a nice restaurant and would LOVE a glass of wine before dinner.  Other times when I CRAVE a drink is definitely when I am so stressed or upset that I want to mask the painful feelings that I masked with food for so many years.  

My job is extremely stressful right now - and there really is no end in sight for the next two months because of state testing - I so want to go home after school, have a few glasses of wine and giggle.  I know that I wont.  I looked up the side effects of alcohol with the medication that I am taking, it could cause a very dangerous drop in blood pressure.  I tease (not really) that Larry is a medical person and if something should happen, he could take care of me.....But I know that it is STUPID.  There is absolutely NO need for me to drink.  I would only be drinking to get drunk so as not to have to deal with the pain of the real emotions.  

Now that I have read your post, I have just realized that I am "sober" so to speak for about 7 months.  And even though I really am considering a glass of wine at a friends St. Patty's day party, I know that I wont.  I am going to keep in mind what you said about the other two people.  They are sober for a few days - they have to start over each time - I don't want to have to start over.

Thank you so much for posting - it really hits home each time you do - this one in particular!  Keep on successing my friend!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views