Wait. The scale IS my friend?

jastypes
on 1/26/12 10:53 pm - Croydon, PA
I have been an anti-scale person since, oh, let's say the 2nd grade.  Even after WLS, I didn't own a scale.  I only got weighed at doctor's visits.  That's how I found out about my 45 pound regain.  At some point last year I decided to buy a scale because I figured I would write down everything I ate and watch to see what happened with the scale.  If the scale was going down, then I was eating correctly.  If the scale was going up, I needed to make adjustments to my diet.

But I did not want the scale to rule my life or define who I am, and I really had this hate/hate relationship with the thing, even when it was heading in the right direction.

Well, I've been on track for several months, losing that 45 pounds.  I KNOW that when I eat according to my plan (which is a good one given to me by Barix, and supported by the nutritionist and my OA sponsor), I maintain a comfortable weight level, and am happy with what I am eating.  So, when a couple of weeks ago I started deviating from my plan, it should not have surprised me that the scale number would start creeping up.  And, then, true to my old nature, I kept "forgetting" to step on the scale in the morning.  And then one morning (I believe it was last Saturday) when I remembered, there was a 5 pound weight gain.  Oops. 

And my head wanted to tell me all sorts of shameful things!  It wanted to call me names and tell me what a failure I am.  But, hey, I've done a lot of growing up this year and told the voices in my head to shut up and let me get on with living.  I picked back up my tools, including my food scale, my plan of eating and my journaling, and unbelievably, less than a week later, my weight is back to "normal".  

Ttoday that I am very grateful to have caught the gain at 5 and not 45; to not have had to switch up my pant size again; to have the tools to use to undo temporary "damage;" and for all the support and encouragement I get from this site, Barix meetings and OA.

Thanks for letting me share.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

jojomoe523
on 1/26/12 11:15 pm - PA
Thank you always for being honest!!! I am glad you caught the gain at 5 too!!!  You are awesome!!!

Joanne

enasangels
on 1/29/12 7:05 pm - PA
Jill,
I am so proud of you for catching it in its early stages.  You have been doing a great job, especially considering all your other worries over the past months with your family.  Keep on keeping on girl you are doing a great job!!!!
Hugs, Ena

"Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

Maura M.
on 1/31/12 11:39 am - Yardley, PA
Awesome job!
Maura

proudmama13
on 1/31/12 6:39 pm - Bristol, PA
You GO GIRL!!!!!!!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins