The things my body can do STILL amazed me!

steffihope
on 1/15/12 9:09 am - Philadelphia, PA
 I just needed to get this written down and hopefully for those of you still in the early days and months out will get something out of this.

I am 2 years, 9 months out of surgery.  I have had mostly ups with a few downs.  I have lost and lost, I have had plastic surgery on my tummy and my breasts and I have also then had some regain. I am up 25 pounds from my lowest.  This is a concern of mine, however, not the basis of this post.  I am saying this just so you know where I am in this amazing lifelong journey.

Last year, friends of ours rented a mountain house for a three day weekend.  We joined them on Sunday night in to Monday and we decided that we would go skiing that Monday.  I was so excited.  I hadn't been on skis for a long time, well before I had kids in which my oldest at the time was 15.  Had my middle and youngest children with me and I put them in ski school.  I rented skis, starpped them on and off I went.  It was truly like they say about riding a bike - I didn't forget how to do it!  I had a blast.  We skied for about 3 hours and I had a great time!  It was VERY expensive for my two kids in ski school and then Larry and I renting nd skiing for the day.  We knew that it was not going to happed again for the season.  No big deal.  It was still amazing and I was thrilled at what I was able to accomplish.  

Fast forward a year - here I am, sitting in a different mountain house, same friends; and the plan was to ski Saturday and Monday and snow-tube on Sunday.  This year, my oldest and youngest came with us - my middle had no interest in coming.  Left the house relatively early yesterday morning to get to Camelback.  Got the kids set up in ski school, and now it was my turn.  I had been waiting a year to get back on.  I got to the slope, I go up the mountain, and I start down the slope.  I actually said to myself, "This feels great!"  I had a blast!  I fell once - no big deal - giggled about it, and then got up and continued.  I got to ski with Larry, I got to ski with Josh after his lesson - he loved it - no surprise there.  And then I got to ski with the other kids that are here with us.  What an exhiliarating day!    I know that I have to get myself back on track and get that 25 pounds off and I know how to do it - just to make the decision to do it.  However, to know that I can do this after 18 years of a hiatus, and to know that I am healthy enough to do it,  has been so amazing.  I am not giving up on losing the weight and I am not saying that I am done because I can now ski again, and handle the elevated heart rate, but I know that I am, "normal."  I look like all the other adults on the slopes.  No one is looking at me and think, "Wow - how is that fat woman able to do this."  (I would have NEVER done this fat.)

It is an incredible journey that we are all on.  And along with the fabulous ups and inevitable downs, the ups have outweighed ALL the downs that I have been through.  And while we talk about wow moments, being able to get my body on skis, up a chair lift, off of it without fear of hurting something, or worse, having a heart attack from too much strain on my heart, is a feeling that only WE can understand.  We are a specific community with different needs and expectations and i thak you all for giving me a forum to talk about all of it!

Happy Winter everyone!
Nicole0216
on 1/15/12 8:05 pm - Lancaster, PA
Very proud of you and hoping to follow in your foot steps. I want to try skiiing again just scared to do it alone
Cherish F.
on 1/15/12 11:02 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Yea Steffi! You rock girl! Skiing doesn't really interest me. Mostly cause I can't stand to be cold. But I'm glad you are having such a good time.

What really grabbed me was this "but I know that I am, "normal."
I see so many of "us" - myself included - who can obsess about the last 10 or 20 or even 30 pounds. But my goodness we are amazing and wonderful, and look how far all of us have come.
It hurts me when I hear someone go on about "I've lost x amount of pounds, but I can't be happy because I haven't hit my goal." (para phrased, you get the idea). I want to yell, OMG, look at you! Look how for you've come and what you've already accomplished!

Even I need a reality check once in awhile.
I was having lunch with my little brother the other day and for whatever reason his current weight came up. He's always been this crazy skinny beanpole Army guy. Well, he says his weight - and I realize I am only 4 POUNDS HEAVIER than him! What?? You mean this fat, flubby chick in the mirror,, who's up almost 10 pounds form my lowest, is almost the same weight as my skinny little brother?? Woo hoo!

I needed that reality check to show me that the number on my scale is acceptable, and healthy, and can even be considered "normal."

Cherish
Consult Weight/ Surgery Weight/Current Weight/  Goal Weight, Reached 4/7/11!!
     294                     286.5                     165.5                     164

Full abdominoplasty & Breast Reduction/Lift - 4/9/12!

Even miracles take a little time. ~ Cinderella

IdaMae D.
on 1/17/12 6:45 am - Philadelphia, PA

Awesome - Awesome - Awesome!!!!

IdaMae

Lisa H.
on 1/17/12 7:40 pm - Whitehall, PA

My tracker

hers 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins