Obesity Kills X-Post

Patricia R.
on 10/26/11 1:27 pm - Perry, MI
 My 53 year old cousin, Kim's 33 year old son, Billy died yesterday from morbid obesity.  He looked into WLS ten years ago, but could not meet the pre=surgery weight loss requirement for it.  In recent months he began to suffer from kidney disease, but was not a candidate for a transplant because of his obesity.  My mother told me they estimate his weight at around 800 pounds.  

I am so sad for my cousin, because I have a son who is 33.  I cannot imagine her pain right now.

But, this reminds me why I had WLS in the first place.  My weight was climbing regularly.  In 1989, I weighed 190 pounds.  In 2001, I was at 250 pounds.  In 2005, I was up to 319.  That was when I entered an outpatient eating disorder treatment program.  A year later, I had my surgery.  

At the time of my surgery, I was on Lipitor, for high cholesterol, and I was told I was prediabetic.  Because of my weight, I developed herniated discs in my back, and arthritis in my back and lower joints.  

All I know is that at the age of 48, I had all the markders for an early death.  My WLS saved my life.  

Sorry to be the bearer of such sad news.  I just know that this is a battle, and I take it seriously anymore.  Just like I won't touch alcohol anymore, I am serious about following the dietary guidelines given to me by my surgeon.  I messed around for three years with the food, but no more.  

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Nicole0216
on 10/26/11 8:00 pm - Lancaster, PA
Thanks for sharing. Obesity is a disease, it does kill people, and should be taken way more seriously
Laureen S.
on 10/26/11 11:15 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Hey Trish,

I'm cross-posting my response from the other place I responded. . .

I am sorry to read of your family loss.  It is a truth that the disease of obesity kills, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly by robbing us of the very simplest of joys, walking for instance, which was part of what had happened to me, in that I could not walk for any period longer than an hour without serious pain and at 51 years of age, I was used to a much more active life and saw that my future was looking grim, it made me take a serious look at what I could do to increase my odds against dying early, as it was family history that showed me, obesity kills.

That being said, I have a brother, my only sibling, 10.5 years younger, who is seriously obese, probably what would be considered super morbidly obese, as I have no real idea of his weight, he doesn't or hasn't gone to a doctor in god only knows how long, but he stands 6 feet tall and wears size 5x, so that gives one an idea and I imagine he weighs upwards of 400 lbs., his legs look bad, he sweats profusely and I remember when I had my surgery, I had hoped that if I was successful at it, he might consider it, he even broached the subject a time or two, but there was always an excuse, at the time some were valid in that his job situation would not allow for him to take the time off, but he recently became unemployed, so I took a chance last week and waited on an opportunity to say something to him, and when he shared that part of his severance package was that his employer would be paying for his insurance for a full year beyond his six month severance period, I actually found the in I was looking for and very carefully, so as not to preach, asked him if now that he had some time he would consider looking into what we spoke about a couple of years back, he started off by saying that his head is not really there right now and I pursued it very simply by telling him that there are newer options out there and he might just want to take a look at them or something.  I gave him some information on the various procedures that might suit his lifestyle better and he said he would look at them, but I think he is mad at me, as when I called him yesterday he did not answer my call, which is unusual.  I've actually had several family members approach me about talking to him, my Aunt in NC even said that next time she comes up here, she wants to address it herself in the form of some sort of intervention, even if he does get mad at us, which is why no one approaches him, because he has a nasty temper. 

I am powerless over him and his choices, but it saddens me that my baby brother is essentially killing himself.

Thanks for listening. . .  Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

bvohl
on 10/27/11 1:14 am
Trish,

So sorry for your loss! Obesity is an illness, we all know that. Some of us get it and some of us don't.

Love, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

dit657
on 10/27/11 1:19 am - Boothwyn, PA
Trish I'm so sorry for your loss - very sad to lose someone so young, when it didn't have to happen.

I don't know about anyone else but I was definitely the Queen of Denial when it came to my weight, until I saw a picture of myself on my 50th birthday and then it hit me full in the face and I cried for a long time. That day I knew I had to do something or I wouldn't last much longer. WLS literally saved my life, and while I have become lax in my diet this is a real eye-opener and wake up call - again.

My older sister had considered lapband surgery, but her family doctor feels it's not a good option for her because of the success rate (she's morbidly obese) and she says she can't possibly do gastric bypass, so sadly she continues to carry around a lot of weight.

Sending prayers out to you and your family...hugs, Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
sandy L.
on 10/27/11 3:04 pm - Altoona, PA
Sorry for your family's loss.  I will remember youns in my prayers.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views