Hi I am new!

merrymorris
on 10/27/11 3:34 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Hi! I live in the Northeast too! right on the border of Tacony/wissinoming. I don't think Barix is covered by my insurance but abington is for sure. So, how long do you generally have to be out of work after the operation and what are some of the side effects that might be negative?
Laureen S.
on 10/27/11 4:16 am, edited 10/27/11 4:18 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Time out of work varies dependent on procedure type and what you do for a living. If you have a desk job, I've known people who went back to work within a week of surgery, though that is not suggested, when I had my procedure done I was out 6 weeks.

Side effects, I've had none, other than flatulence (gas) which occurs dependent on food sources, ie, fatty foods, some sugar substitutes, we process different post-WLS.

There are different things that you can experience the further out you get, sudden blood sugar dips, from not eating properly, ie, protein first, carbs should always be had with a small portion of protein (ie, apple and peanut butter). The main thing is to get in the habit of drinking decaffeinated and non-carbonated fluids, 64 oz a day, and being willing to adhere to a strict regime of taking your vitamin supplements for the rest of your life, because therein can be a source of problems. Oh and temporary hair loss is another thing you will probably experience between 4 and 9 months post-op. There will be the learning curve once you heal of learning which foods you can tolerate easily, density of food can cause the "foamies", whereby you suddenly feel like your food is stuck and then feel like you are going to be sick, usually a foam comes up and you vomit, though it is not like pre-surgery and once you do, you usually feel relief. These are some of the things, but not all and truth is they don't happen to everyone.

As for support groups, you don't have to a Barix patient to attend Barix support group, however, no one will give you information that goes against whatever your surgeon tells you to follow, as each program has their own guidelines and most are similar, but not exact, but support for the journey is what Barix support group is about, there are lots of changes ahead, mostly good ones. The support group leaders at Barix are all people who've had WLS and speak from the passion of those who've been there and the desire to help those who come after and in turn it helps them to stay the course.

Wishing you the best, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

IdaMae D.
on 10/27/11 7:22 am - Philadelphia, PA
I also live in the northeast!

I had my surgery Sept 10 and returned to work a week before Thanksgiving, about 8 weeks I believe it was.  I also had the time available to take off from work.  I know others that had their surgeries same time I did that went back to work in a couple weeks due to not having that availablity to take off. 

Time off also depends on the type of surgery you have. 

Again side effects depend on the person.  I had a fairly uneventful recovery, my hubby kept developing strictures.  He's body sucks at healing, he was amazed I healed so well.

Ida

IdaMae

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views