Hi I am new!

merrymorris
on 10/26/11 3:06 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Hello, I posted on the main forum and got some views but no responses so I thought I would go local to try to get some advice. I have my first appointment with Abington on Nov 4th and have aetna hmo. Anyone have any advice or anything they want to share? Trying to gather info about everything but feel really overwhelmed. I'm 34, 5'9., 320lbs.

Thanks!
Laureen S.
on 10/26/11 3:41 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Hi,

Welcome to the PA Forum, there is lots of support on this forum and people who will give you information based on first hand knowledge.

The process can be a bit overwhelming and I can only suggest that you educate yourself going into it, so that you know fully what the different procedures are and how they will affect you and which one is the one you feel will aid you best in this lifelong process.  Some sugeries require stricter adherence to things than others, therefore more restrictive or freeing depending on your outlook.  There are plenty of places to look for information, but here is a good start.  Also, I would suggest possibly interviewing more than one place for your procedure and attending support groups to get a feel for things.

Each insurance provider requires different things, some it's simple, others more complicated, but whatever you have to go through I can say, after 4 years that it was a good decision for me and I had RNY, lost 98 lbs, regained some due to a variety of reasons, mainly became less compliant and was not exercising, things I have corrected.  The surgical solution will get you to a healthier place, then it largely becomes about what we do that keeps us there.

I wish you success and come back and ask whatever questions you need to know.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

merrymorris
on 10/26/11 3:57 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Thanks for the information!

dit657
on 10/26/11 4:48 am - Boothwyn, PA
Hi there and welcome to the PA Boards! I believe I saw another 'newbie' posting who is also going to Abington for their surgery, so maybe you could connect and go to support meetings together - support is crucial and key in this journey.

Like Laureen I'm one of the 'old-timers' on this board - I'm over 3 1/2 years out and have been very successful - I have also experienced some regain due to the same things Laureen spoke about, but I still way almost 1/2 of what I used to - my BP is great; no more asthma or sleep apnea. More energy and just feeling better all around.

If you know what type of surgery you're having and are willing to share it will be easier to get the type of support you need - a lot of us have had gastric bypass, but I hear that VSG is becoming more popular now? But learning to live a different way is key in all of our journeys, and trust me, it is a constant learning experience!!

Hope to see you posting often - we have a daily roll call thread that we check in on so please join us on that as well.

Best of luck to you on your journey!!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
merrymorris
on 10/26/11 4:56 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Wow, everyone has been so successful. Congratulations! I will looks for the newbie you talked about. Support is a great thing. I am leaning towards a duodenal switch because it seems to be what I am looking for. I haven't met with a surgeon yet so I don't really know what they are going to say. Thanks for the information!
bvohl
on 10/26/11 4:52 am
Welcome to the PA Forum!!

We are a CRAZY bunch of characters, but we mean well! There is a great deal of useful information on the web about WLS and the different types of surgeries. Have you looked into Barix? They are fantastic!! That is where I had my RNY almost 2 1/2 years ago. The surgeons are great and the nursing staff is TOP notch!!!! There is also an AWESOME support group there for both pre and post ops. I try to go every chance I get! The love and support you get there is like no place else!

Good luck to you!
Beth

P.S. What is your name??
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

merrymorris
on 10/26/11 4:59 am - philadelphia, PA
DS on 04/26/12
Oh, sorry, my name is Merry. I haven't looked into Barix but I will. I need to go to ann Aetna center of excellence. I know Abington is so I just assumed I would go there.
IdaMae D.
on 10/26/11 10:46 am - Philadelphia, PA
I do not think that Barix qualifies as a Center of Excellence.

Most Centers of excellence are the big hospital systems such as Abington, Einstein, Hahnamann and Temple.  If you pull up the websites of the big hospitals their homepage usually has something on there if they have been certified as a Center of Excellence.

Four local hospitals have been approved as centers of excellence by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.  All offer a full menu of surgical options. The programs are:

The Bariatric Surgery Program at Pennsylvania Hospital earned its ASMBS accreditation by passing rigorous standards of surgical skill at both laparoscopic and open procedures, careful patient selection, and a team that treats obesity as a psychological as well as a physical problem (800 Spruce Street, 800-789-7366, pennhealth.com/bariatrics).

Einstein Bariatrics has done 400 procedures, and its lead surgeon, Ramsey Dallal, has personally operated on more than 1,000 people without a single mortality. Equipped with all the latest technology, Einstein is notable for its organized adolescent program and its commitment to those with limited financial resources. Thirty percent of its patients are on Medicaid or Medicare, and half are minorities (60 Township Line Road, Elkins Park, 800-EINSTEIN, einsteinbariatrics.com).

The Surgical Weight Loss Center at Abington Memorial Hospital has performed 189 surgeries since opening in 2006, and takes the approach that surgery isn’t a magic bullet, but a path to lifelong change (1200 Old York Road, Abington, 215-481-3500, amh.org).

Temple Bariatric Surgery Program is one of the busiest in the region and has performed more than 1,400 operations with excellent outcomes. It’s designated an Independence Blue Cross Bariatric Center of Distinction (3401 N. Broad Street, 800-TEMPLE-MED, bariatric.templehealth.org).

IdaMae

apple60
on 10/27/11 5:36 am - schwenksville, PA
  I went to abington and I am not sorry. I had Dr. Bonnani and he was very sensitve and understanding. I knew quite a few people that went to him and they were very pleased.Ihad it done almost 3 yrs. ago and I have kept it off. I really try to watch my diet as good as I can.
proudmama13
on 10/26/11 5:36 am - Bristol, PA
Welcome to the group!!! 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views