A speaking engagement

jastypes
on 10/25/11 1:32 am - Croydon, PA
I had the opportunity to speak at an NA meeting last night.  While drugs have not been an issue in my life since the 1980's, my sponsor felt I was qualified to speak since alcohol is a drug, and since I use the 12-steps in combatting my disease of addiction.   It was awesome.  We took a meeting to the in-patients at Livengren.  It was all women, and they were quite the mixed bag of young and old, drug addicts and alcoholics.  I shared my story, and was so very touched by the reaction of these women who are in that most desperate and vulnerable of places.  Two women came up to me after the meeting and asked me to pray with them the way the other Jill had prayed with me at my first meeting back to AA when my obsession was lifted.  Two other women shared that they had developed alcoholism after gastric bypass surgery.  They were both relieved to hear that they are not suffering from terminal uniqueness.  A third woman shared that her sister and brother-in-law both developed alcoholism after gastric bypass surgery, and he passed away from the disease.   The format was different from what I am used to, with a question and answer period following my share.  It felt good to have some ability to share information about both the disease and the solution.    Thanks for being part of my journey.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Laureen S.
on 10/25/11 4:41 am - Maple Shade, NJ
You were right where your were supposed to be, selfless service and giving from the wealth of your own personal experience, those tools are where practicing these "spiritual principles" in all our affairs bring us.  Glad you are a part of my journey.

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1890 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1987 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2673 views