Brain - Stomach Disconnect

jastypes
on 10/3/11 2:28 am - Croydon, PA
As I continue to work a 12-step program to combat my compulsive nature, and as I revise my plan of eating to to address that and to follow nutrionist and surgeon advice, I find a serious disconnect between my stomach and my brain!  I remember in the early days after surgery referring to "head hunger."  Does this ever go away?  I sit with my portioned food.  I look at it.  I cry that it will never be enough.  I eat it.  My stomach is satisfied, but my brain is still screaming for more!  I need more food!  I'll starve to death!  Clearly, my addict brain is over dramatic.   While I have been winning this battle more often than losing it lately, as evidenced by my 4 pound weight loss this month, and 18 pound total weight loss since starting OA, I'd like to get opinions, suggestions, sympathy, understanding, etc. from my WLS buddies. 

Thanks.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Nicole0216
on 10/3/11 9:13 am - Lancaster, PA
I feel the same way. It is this fear that keeps me from being abstinent I fear I will die....i will starve,,what will become of me if I do?? But I totally understand your anxiety, and the lack of acceptance even when your body tells you that you are full
Patricia R.
on 10/5/11 12:01 pm - Perry, MI
 Jill,
I have not been able to get abstinent since relapsing with the alcohol.  Nor can I get sugar free  .Right now, I feel very hopeless.  My mind thinks I will go nuts if I don't get the sugar, and eat when and what I want.  

When I saw Dr. Marymor last week, he suggested something drastic, which I will give a try after I am recuperated from my toe surgery next week.  It's a 2 week liquid protein diet, which I am willing to try to detox off the sugar  I want to wait till I am recuperated because I will be in a huge amount of physical pain, and can't feel deprived while dealing with physical pain.  I have my limits.

I have to get back to that Saturday morning OA meeting.  I also need to work on my Step work better, and self-soothe through the temptatiions.  

Thanks for your honesty.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views