Struggling

Liz R.
on 9/26/11 10:56 pm - Easton, PA
So I am 4 1/2 years out from my RNY. I weighed in at 327 pounds the day of my pre-op testing. My lowest weight was 184 soon after I delivered Mia in May/early June 2010. I was severly anemic andh hardly eating because of being so soon post partum (literlly my Mom had to force me to eat). Well after a while things returned to normal with eating. I was still anemic because of a Dr's ignornace and I didn't start treatment until I think it was October of 2010. As I began the iron infusions (a series of 5 weekly treatments, then monthly, then 5 more weekly treatments) my body suffered, I had zero energy and I ached all the time. I FINALLY get my iron under control in August 2011. Yes, more then a year later! During all of this my weight climbed to 212, granted it isn't 327 but I'm still not happy with where it is. During this time also, mid August 2011 I re-injured my back. I have herniated and de-compressed disks in my last 6 vertebrae which limits what I can do. I am going through Physical Therapy and Chiropractics to strengthen my back. Long story short I have REALLY been doing great with food choices and back to basics for a few weeks now and have not lost one stinkin pound!! It is so frustrating! I know the rules, I am getting in my protein and water. No sugar, watching the carbs. Moving doing what I can - all my back exercises and walking with Mia as weather permits and NOT ONE POUND! I know that this is a marathon not a sprint and yes I am still down over a 100 pounds.  My orthopeadic wants me to loose 30 pounds to take the stress off of my back "but isn't convinced that I'll be able to do it - some people are just heavy. Hence why there is WLS out there" I am just so frustrated and almost at wits end. I think it is time to follow up with my surgeon and see where things lead.

Thanks for reading my vent....

Liz
bvohl
on 9/26/11 11:11 pm
Liz,

((HUGS))!!!
You can vent here anytime you want! I feel your pain in struggling to lose weight. In the last year I hae gained about 15 lbs and I am still NOWHERE near my goal weight. Even at my lowest I was still about 60lbs from where I should be. I thought (as many of us do) that RNY was going to be the magic pill per say. Yes, we lost a great deal of weight but we still struggle. Always will!!!

Keep on doing your back to basics and do what you can physically without hurting your back anymore. You can do it!! You are an amazing person and I know Chris is there to support you!!

SO AM I!!!!!
Love, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

jastypes
on 9/27/11 2:57 am - Croydon, PA
That certainly does sound frustrating!  I had a re-gain, but it was because of poor food choices.  I can tell you that taking it off now (4+ years out) is much harder and slower than it was that first year after surgery!  3 pounds this month vs. the 30 pounds I'd liked to have lost!  That being said, you can only do what you can do!  If you are making healthy food choices, you may have to accept that your body is comfortable at a particular weight.  For me, I've decided that once my food is under control (no compulsive eating), then my body will figure out where it is supposed to be.  Of course you should check with your surgeon's office to see if they have suggestions.  Vent away!  That's what we're here for.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/11 4:25 am - Eastern, PA
Sorry Liz. Regain and reloss is very real and something many of us struggle with, myself included.

Have you lookied into a regular and/or stationary bike as a low-impact way to burn some calories? I don't know how that would treat your back, but it is overall a super-low impact cardio workout.
jackie j
on 9/27/11 5:00 am - Glenmoore, PA

I here ya Liz!!   I've been working on my weight seriously for 6 mos since Mom died.   I figured all that stress put my cortisol up and put the weight on.   I was "aware and trying" during the stress periods but it was flying on anyway.  However, she's gone, the crazy frenetic life I was leading is gone but the weight still rises.   WTF??  So, I went back to logging 3 mos ago and following the original just post-op barix plan vs my further out plan.    The first month I lost 1 lb.   The second 4lbs for a total of 5, which comes and goes depending on the day of the month so I don't even call it permanent.    This month, so far nothing, but I seem to be losing inches as my clothes are looser.     VERY frustrating.      I am VERY malabsorbtive. 

I'm 5.5yrs out and  I have gained almost half of what I lost back.   The doctors can't figure out why based on what I eat in my journal. (I get the feeling they think I'm lying.   I remember that look from years ago at weigh****chers.)   It's very defeating. I have hooked up with a new surgeon in my area who sent me for tests.  I've had the upper GI and the nutritionist and the PT (exercise is one area I really need to improve but in the testing process we found I have plantars fasciitus and a possible little heart comp I'm having checked out so no exercise til the go ahead on that).    His nutritionist INCREASED my carb intake to 100/day after seeing my fitday entries (if following the original barix plan I am around 65), however, all carbs are "grown" carbs, I can't do processed - pasta, rice, potatoes, wraps, bread, bagels, cakes, cookies, snack foods, pretzels, popcorn carbs, not even SF stuff.   No alcohol, no caffeine, no carbonation.  No fun.  

I have found this last month that 100 is too much for me, I haven't lost a thing; the barix numbers seem to work better a little better; "processed" is absolutely not tolerated (I took it totally out and then tried putting a smidge back in to see how it would go after 3 weeks - gave me hot flashes).   I'm also really lactose intolerant, dairy/cheeses are sliding on through.  The learning is going slow but I am figuring things out and tweaking.    I HAVE to do supplements to hit my numbers and supplements REALLY DO decrease my cravings.   It's either stay around 65 "grown" carbs a day  OR exercise 2 hours a day.   I don't have 2 hrs in my day for exercise....so Profect it is, for now.    We'll see where this goes when I go back to the nutritionist; she seems to think she'll be seeing at least a 5lb loss.....I think I'll be buying a punching bag because my frustrations need an outlet or getting a job with fedex because I think I'm one of those folks that HAS to exercise 7 hours a day to improve my metabolism.    Maybe DWTS  will take me???   

Another venter.....sorry folks.    Liz, hang in there, it may take 3 mos. this time around to see some difference but it WILL happen.  Hormones are the root cause I'm convinced and we've both had those messed with the last couple years.   Keep pluggin girlfriend ;-)

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Laureen S.
on 9/28/11 12:05 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Jackie,

I hear you loud and clear, it is not easy finding our way once we pass the 2 and 3 year mark, for those that seem to not struggle, I wonder how they got so lucky, but any way you look at it, I'm in this for the long haul and I like your signature byline about success. . .  we just have to stay the course and I was doing the Emotional Eating thread to support those of us with struggles, but I stopped because it was mostly unread and I felt I was just pounding my chest, tooting my own horn.  We all know what needs doing, it's just finding what it is and doing it.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

jackie j
on 9/29/11 4:06 am - Glenmoore, PA
You weren't unread and you aren't unloved.    I loved and appreciated your posts and you for doing them.   My reason for not jumping in is that sometimes I think folks just see it as a whine and I'm not a whiner by nature.   I disliked that I even blurbed on Liz's thread.  I've always been the strong one that confronted issues or at least was persistent in fighting them.   I've come to realize this weight is my cross to bear in life; it could be the big "C" and it was diabetes and high blood pressure before I kicked them to the curb with surgery.   Just really ******g me off that I don't seem to have the persistance to kick this issue.   Just wish what worked then would work now.  My sister's say it's because I'm 5 yrs. older but the stubborn me doesn't like that answer either ;-)    Pound your chest girlfriend, it moves the gas...hahahaha

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Sara E.
on 9/27/11 5:16 am - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
Liz,
Hugs to you my friend.  Keep up the good work. Don't be discouraged...the weight will come off.  Your body is just being stubborn.  DO NOT QUIT!  We are all here for you!

Sara

Nicole0216
on 9/27/11 6:32 am - Lancaster, PA
Sorry sweety I understand I am in regain myself.
I blame myself soley for it no mystery,
but what they do not tell you about this surgery
is that on the flip side, you have messed with your metabolism
become a super absorber of calories
and weight loss is difficult.

I have thought about trying the Dukane diet It seems like a good choice for us.

I have also gotten really crazy in my head at times and wondered if I did not need some kind of revision.

But really for me, I know what I need to do and just do it.

I hope you can find a solution that works,
Love you and 212 is better than 327
IdaMae D.
on 9/27/11 7:42 am - Philadelphia, PA
Liz:

Sending you hugs, there is nothing I can say that has not already been said.  Hang in there...

Ida

IdaMae

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views