Combating Regain - How I'm doing, how are You doing it?

Laureen S.
on 9/2/11 12:08 am - Maple Shade, NJ
TGIF Everyone!

Hope that everyone is good post-Irene and Earthquake experience.

So this is how my week went since last I posted. . .

Monday was spent cleaning, and I do mean cleaning, including my basement, which when we get significant rainfall gets wet, thankfully my power stayed on and my sump pump was doing it's part, so, while it got wet, I did not wind up with 3 or more inches of rain in it, though with the rain prior to the storms arrival I still had stuff that had to be thrown out and so Monday, my exercise was largely about house upkeep for approximately 6 hours.  Tuesday, the doggone alarm did not go off, no excuses for not working out, scrolled through FIT TV on Demand and did two workouts for a total of 30 minutes, Wednesday, I got to the gym, did 30 cardio and 25 weight/strength training, yesterday I was tired and listened to my body, besides I had a long day, what with babysitting for the grands on my agenda last night, so I took Roxie girl for a 40/45 minute walk yesterday and today I did the same thing, though my plan for tonight is if it does not rain, I will take her to the dog trail park, if it does rain, I will go home and do some FIT TV.  Point of this is that in the past, I would use all these things as excuses not to exercise.  I cannot do that now, there are no GOOD excuses not to be physically active.

Food intake, was mostly good, not perfect, but perfection is not me and it is one of the reasons I do need physical activity to be incorporated daily because without it, I will lose ground with my weight.

The proof of all my sweat equity and making better choices, is in the fit of my clothes, things that at the beginning of summer could not be worn are now fitting and some of the new items I was forced to buy are now getting too big.  This is good stuff and others are making comments like, you look like you lost some weight, so even with the scale not moving much, I know my body is changing. . .

So that's my story, how about yours?  Any successes to share, challenges?  Look forward to input from you.

Probably won't post again until next Friday, so jump in here between now and then if you like as I love to hear about your successes and challenges.

Have a wonderful and safe Labor Day.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

jackie j
on 9/2/11 6:37 am - Glenmoore, PA
Regain sux Laureen.   I would like to strangle the stupid jackass PT person that was at that OH meeting in Conshohocken a few years back that told everyone present that the operation ALONE causes your weight loss, you don't need exercise.   I remember all the oohhhs and ahhhs in the audience and I wanted to walk out of the meeting because I thought that was so irresponsible of him.    Damn stupid PT person, that statement has always resonated in my head since, probably because I wanted it to be true...   

EXERCISE IS THE KEY TO LONG-TERM SUCCESS IN WLS.   Yes, the first 1.5 years it comes off pretty easily but then the malabsorption hits.   It's no one's fault, it's nature.   The body adjusts to its conditions, that's good in a way (if you were a dinosaur) but bad for us in that we begin to gain eating the same amount of calories UNLESS WE INCREASE the exercise and create the metabolism we never had.  

I've proven it.   I've gone back to the actual fitday entries I made the first six months after surgery and re-eaten the same things for this past month....results....1 pound lost in a month on 750-850 cals a day.    What I didn't do was exercise, because YES, I HATE TO EXERCISE!!!.   Yes, I'm more active than before because I can move more easily; I can work in my garden for 3 or 4 hours and then some and I couldn't before; but that's just my natural adjustment.   What I need is an UNNATURAL amount of exercise and HARD, HEART PUMPING MOVEMENT.   Dr. Brader said it way back then... "you've got to be so sweaty afterwards that you wouldn't be seen in public"  but I'm very sporadic, I start and stop gym memberships, I'm not consistent.....I've got EDD (Exercise Defiance Disorder)......Something to work on this month  ;-)    

Jackie J.    hugs.gif image by LISAH900   ribbon.gif image by Ready4Achange  

1 choice @ a time > 1 day @ a time.   Slow to Succeed is still Success ;-)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views