Hurrican Sunday Roll Call

IdaMae D.
on 8/27/11 4:39 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Good Morning PA!!!

We still have electricity.  Both my daughters are in NJ, one is without electric - they told her it would be back on Sunday after 11am.  Not sure if the other daughter has electric she's further south from the oldest.  Gene's sister is without electric, saw our niece posting on facebook.

I'm awake, Gene keeps telling me to go to bed.  I've been having those bad pains I had last year when I ended up in the hospital Labor Day weekend.  I'm taking the medication my Gastro doc prescribed but when it wears off the pain is pretty bad.  I'm having problems helping Gene, not good.  It's tough for me to stand for long periods of time to try to help him sweep and drain water from places where it is building up so as to not come into the house. 

The drainage trenches and the grading the  plumbers did last week held out for a good bit tonight.  We are taking on water in the new basement but not as much as we'd have been had these guys not worked their butts off to help us protect the house.  So far the old basement and the portions of the house that were leaking due to water laying and collecting at the foundation of the house have been dry.

We do have water pouring down the interior wall of the house where the GC left the siding unfinished.  Wonder how much damage that is going to cause.

This is only the beginning the actual hurricane has not hit yet.  Hopefully the actual hours left of this storm are not going to be as long as this night seems to have been.

Sending prayers to all....

Stay safe!!!!!

Ida

IdaMae

pennykid
on 8/28/11 12:09 am - PA
Good morning Ida and PA!!!

Ida---I was thinking of you during the storm and hoping that you were faring well!!  What an ordeal you've been through!

Our electricity flickered a few times last night but never went off.  I'm so grateful for that---my sump pump can keep running since the power is on!!  And it's literally running every 30 seconds!  My neighborhood looks ok, but I have no idea how the rest of the town is.  I have to cross the Schuylkill River to go to work tomorrow and am wondering if that intersection is flooded.  (According to Phoenixville Patch, that road is closed.)

Going to spend today watching old movies and cross stitching.  Perfect way to spend a stormy day!!

Have a great day, all!!!  Be safe!!
Julia              
Laureen S.
on 8/28/11 1:24 am - Maple Shade, NJ

Ida, PA Friends,

hoping that things are not too awful for you today Ida, but if your pain continues, please get to a doctor, nothing to take lightly, especially considering all the stress you've had to contend with lately, talk about not getting more than one can handle, sheesh, sometimes I do wonder about that ideal. . .wishing you the best.

I went to bed at around 12:15, it was raining heavily and there were tornado and flood watches, but I just wasn't going to stay awake all night and when I woke up this morning, I was pleasantly surprised to find that we had not lost power, the tree on my front yard was still standing and the basement while wet, was not as bad as it could have been, considering I've seen it worse when we've had other storms, so I am grateful for those things.  My neighbor to the left, has a yard that floods with lots of rain, well right now, he has a lake in his yard and his shed has been crushed by either a large tree limb or a small tree and the neighbor behind me also has a tree on his shed.  Right now the winds are gusting, so it's not over yet, but I'd say I am pretty lucky. There is a portion of my town that is flooded. Tony's area is ok, but his daugher lives in Edison and she lives in a bi-level and water is up to her first step inside the house, his Mom has no power and my brother, who lives in Long Island is experiencing the brunt of the storm now and where I used to live in NY has a good deal of flooding, so this storm while mild on certain aspects has proven to be what they said, heavy rains at high tide were going to be the issues.  So please folks don't venture out, this storm still has some residual stuff that could affect where you're at.

Not doing much, probably get to some inside stuff today, I have off tomorrow, so that is a plus.

Wishing you all a safe day.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

dit657
on 8/28/11 3:58 am - Boothwyn, PA
Good afternoon all. Ida you and gene were on my mind all thru Irene. Sorry to feel you're in pain. Pls don't let if go too long before you see a doctor.

We lost power around 10 when the tornado warnings came across for our area. It came back on around 4 am. When I walked this morning I didn't see any house damage. Our one neighbor has some damage in her garage but she's fine.

Did some laundry and cleaning and now just relaxing.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
enasangels
on 8/28/11 4:27 am - PA
Good Morning Pa. and Ida,
Thought about you during the storm, and prayed things would go well for you.  Please do take care of yourself and don't ignore the pain, get to a doctor when able.  You need to take care of yourself or you will be no good to anyone else, but I know you know that.  Prayers and good thought continue your way.
As for the rest of you, glad you all made it through without much trouble.
My daughters neighborhood down here on the eastern shore of Md., does not have many trees, there are a few (about 3) that have older large trees that the builders were able to leave.  We took a drive through the neighborhood, and did not see much damage other than the street being blocked 2 door down from ours due to high water.  One of the largest homes, and most beautifully landscaped ones has two large trees that are just a few feet from each other, the one closest to the house split close to the ground and did hit the corner of the house, but did not seem to cause a lot of damage, it just looks awful.  We were waiting for the storm to take out the electric, as it so ofter does during just regular storms, but it did not happen.  Did not lose the cable either.  We have been very blessed.  The winds are still kicking up, and they are saying there is a great deal of probability that we will be experiencing down trees between now and the next few weeks because of all the water, so I guess we are not totally out of the woods. 
Hope you all have a great day, and are able to cope with all this mess without to much of a struggle.
Hugs, Ena

"Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

Lisa H.
on 8/28/11 8:07 am - Whitehall, PA
Good evening everyone. .. hope everyone got through with very little damage.  We had a lot of wind and rain, but did not get the tornado warnings like you got down near Philly.   I went to sleep around 11:30, I guess and it was raining but not any more than any other rain storm.  Apparently the worst part came in the overnight hours and I slept right through that.  There is flooding around the Lehigh Valley and a lot of debris.  

We all walked down to the creek that runs on the other side of our apartment complex and the creek had overflowed and was moving super fast.  Some idiots were on kayaks going down.  Can we say DUMB!!?!?!? 

Anyway, it's been a peaceful and relaxing day here.  Siehara and her friend have been hanging out and Neil and I have just been relaxing enjoying music and I've been doing my couponing.  An afternoon nap was even enjoyed.  

Now dinner is in the oven (sausage, with mac & cheese and some corn on the side) and we are going to just hang out for the rest of the night.  Maybe we'll watch another movie.  It's been a great day to just sit around and do not much of anything. 

Back to the grind tomorrow.. 

My tracker

hers 

Patricia R.
on 8/28/11 9:47 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Ida and PA,
I got power around 3:00 this afternoon, but have barely been on the computer for a lot of reasons. 

I am in bed, exhausted from the anxiety attacks I started having today.  I took Utley down to the river twice today.  Both times, it was not overflowing, but from the debris all over the place, I could tell it had flooded overnight.

I am having serious anxiety about my move on Saturday.  Then, ,my landlday calls me this evening, as I am getting into bed, to tell me that the borough inspectors are coming out tomorrow to inspect the property.  My apartment looks like a tornado went through it.  I have boxes everywhere.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views