Weird Wednesday

Laureen S.
on 8/24/11 1:24 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Hi Nicole, Everyone. . .

Well we on the east coast sure are having our fair share of things lately, a tornado right near my job about 2 weeks ago, an earthquake yesterday and a possible hurricane this upcoming weekend, which if we get it, will not be a great thing, as the rains have the ground saturated with no room for more water, my basement is smelly from the wet, but in my part of the world, wet basements are normal, don't have the $5,000 to $7,000 it would cost to waterproof my old basement, my sump pump will be doing overtime if we get the hurricane, but oh well, such is life. . . 

about the earthquake, my personal experience is that I was at my workstation when I felt the floor under my feet move, I looked up thinking that's weird, then looked and saw that the light fixtures were moving, as was the glass conference rooms shaking and the building swaying and I was like, oh my, this has to be an earthquake, got up from my chair, which by the way was like a massage chair and felt the floor under my feet moving, boss came out, said, let's get everyone and get out of the building, so we walked the 14 flights downstairs and just kind of milled around, as no one made any announcements or what we should do, he got a text from his daughter in NY saying that a 5.9 earthquake had hit VA and was felt by many along the eastern seaboard.  I could not get a call to anyone and found out from my roommates, who were both home yesterday, that when it struck the one who lives upstairs said she was at her computer when things started shaking and she at first thought is was the dog scratching herself, but then the walls started moving and she got up and ran downstairs, my other roommate was in his room (he works from home) and he said he thought at first it was the washing machine and realized wait, no one is using it, he said all of sudden my house started rolling and he went to get off the bed and literally was thrown off of it. 

So when I got home last night I checked the foundation of the house and it seems like nothing out of the ordinary, however, I do have some new cracks or worsening cracks in my ceiling in the old part of my house, nothing I'm worried about, as the house is over 60 years old, pretty amazing thing to live to tell about.  A dear friend from the West Coast called us East Coasters, weenies and said it was just a baby quake, well sweetum's if that is a baby quake, I hope I never experience a momma of one. . .

I had experienced a tremblor about 26 years ago when I lived in NY, that was 2.2 and so when it hit, my mind was like, I know this feeling, but my logic was, this doesn't really happen here. . .  it was scary and exciting all at the same time. . . 

Well today I'm here at work, after work I'm going to see my grandchildren and then home to sleep. . .  just another work day.

Wishing safe return home for Jill's son and sending thoughts of peace and strength for any experiencing life challenges.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views