Ladychief's "MM"

Nicole0216
on 8/21/11 8:26 am - Lancaster, PA
you definately need to pick a surgeon you feel comfy with. But not all surgeons have the best bedside manner :)  When Jason and I first met Dr Brader he said That is the guy i want to do your surgery, they should never ever let him talk to people, but he knows what he is doing LOL

Dr B has since gone to be a great public speaker and dedicated surgeon but his skills have always been top notch no matterwhat.  I hear the same about Dr. M
Junomom1
on 8/21/11 8:38 am - PA
 Hi Nicole,

You just made me laugh with Jason's comment about Dr. B. :-)
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Marianne

R K.
on 8/21/11 9:12 am
I have a friend who is a Plastic Surgeon. He is arrogant, self centered and excepts nothing but perfection. Kinda makes him the talent that he is.
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
pennykid
on 8/21/11 10:46 pm - PA

Hi Marianne!!! 

Welcome to the PA board!!!  Sorry I haven't had the chance to respond to your last email but will do so.  You will get great support here----this is an awesome group, and they'll tell it like it is.   Great place to ask questions/voice concerns/whatever you need! 

Someone told me years ago that a surgeon has to have some arrogance in order to be able to do what they do, and I believe that.  When you pick a surgeon, you're going for skills and for who you feel comfortable with.  And maybe you weren't able to get past your own feelings when you first met Dr. Marymor.  When I went for me first consult at Barix, I was TERRIFIED.  I didn't know if I was making the right decision, and to be honest, I still felt that way when I was being wheeled into the OR.  Maybe you're feeling some of that apprehension, so you might not have gotten an accurate 'read' on Dr. M.  Maybe you should attend some support groups at Barix before surgery so you can meet some folks and hear what others have to say.  I'd be happy to go with you if you'd like!

Holler if I can help!  Love you!

Julia              
Junomom1
on 9/14/11 3:57 am - PA
 Hi Julia,

I attended my first pre-op support group at Barix last night with Teresa.
I'm very glad I went. I had a chance to talk with Barbara the dietitian and she suggested that I request  to see Dr. Marymor at my PAT just to try and "reconnect," which I plan to do.
Got good feedback on Dr. M. and I'm feeling better overall about the whole process.

Tomorrow is my treadmill stress test. I am still waiting for the completed psych eval from my Dr.,
and after that, I will have everything required by Barix/Dr. Marymor, and my insurance co.

Seems  to be rolling along pretty fast and I am glad for that!  

Just wanted to give you an update.

Thanks to you and everyone for the support!!

Marianne 
pennykid
on 9/14/11 4:26 am - PA
Hi MM!

Glad you went to the meeting!  Sounds like the dietician gave you good advice!  Keep me updated on your process!

J
Julia              
Happy to be in
Onederland

on 8/21/11 11:06 pm
Welcome to the boards.  As a Marymor patient I can tell you he will always be honest with you.  You can count on that.  There is no BS about him.  Best of luck in your journey.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

steffihope
on 8/21/11 11:08 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Marianne - just wanted to add a quick Hello - and welcome to the PA boards.  The others have given you great advice and I just want to wish you well on this amazing journey.  I AM a Barix Baby and am beyond thrilled with the support from the staff AND the people. When I had my plastics last summer - I chose the surgeon based on who would do it at Barix because of the after-care....I was NOT disappointed!  Take care and Enjoy the ride!

Steffi :)
Laureen S.
on 8/21/11 11:45 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Hi Marianne,

Wishing you welcome to this wonderfully supportive board.  As you might  notice, I live in NJ, but get my support from this and another board on OH called the Over Fifty Forum (for those folks lucky enough to be 50 years of age and up (lol)), anyway, it was suggested by someone early on that I jump on this board as it is a very active and supportive group and since I live just over the Philadelphia boarder and had my surgery at Barix, it was a good decision as over the past four years, even before I had my surgery, I was blessed to get to know a good many of the folks on here and my words of advice to you would be no different than what was expressed by many before me and I also chimed in when Lady Chief posted your concerns, so I won't repeat myself here, other than to say that Barix has an excellent reputation and that is due to the surgeons, nurses and other professionals they employ.

If possible, come and attend one of the support groups that are offered there, there are 3 of them, one is the pre-op, which meets the first Tuesday of each month at 7 p.m., then there is the post-op meeting on the third Wednesday of each month, also at 7 p.m., and the First Saturday of each month at 11 a.m. there is a group that breaks down into pre/newly post-ops and then a larger group, that breaks down depending on size and need.  These groups are lead by other post-ops who understand the struggles leading up to and after surgery and are attended by a nutritionist so that anyone who needs help with regards to their dietary intake can get what they need.

I wish you well as you gather information and find just the right surgeon for you!

Kind regards, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Patricia R.
on 8/22/11 12:13 am - Perry, MI
Hi Marianne,
Welcome to the PA board.  This is a great place for support and feedback.  I was the one who talked about first impressions being deceiving on LadyChief's post about your meeting with Dr. Marymor.

I am glad you gave some thought to the skills as a surgeon, in addition to bedside manner, and weighing the pros and cons of each.

I have my five year check-up with him in a couple of weeks, and hope to use it as a starting point to get back on track with my diet, since I have been off it for so long.

Keep posting and glad to meet you.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views