Ladychief's "MM"

Junomom1
on 8/21/11 3:55 am - PA
 Hello Everyone,

I am Ladychief's "MM." My name is Marianne and I had a consulation with Dr. Marymor Thursday for gastric bypass surgery.  I want to thank all those who took the time and really put some thought into writing sound and caring responses.

I e-mailed a friend on Friday who also offered me good advice, and who like Teresa, has had a successful experience with bariatric surgery and this is the jist of my message:
After "sleeping on it," my thoughts this morning are that warm fuzzies do not perform the surgery or handle aftercare and potential complications, but a knowledgable, experienced surgeon does. I value warmth and friendliness so much, but they are not necessary to do a competent job.   I have been thinking about this for so long. I am really in "action mode" now and want to expedite the process and avoid giving myself even more time to think, process, prolong, and possibly hop back on the fence. I am motivated now and don't want to give myself more time to waffle. It is likely that I will stick with Dr. Marymor, however it might be a good idea to talk with him again.    
Thanks so much for your feedback and support. It has really been helpful!
Marianne

dit657
on 8/21/11 4:58 am - Boothwyn, PA
Hi MM! It's nice to meet you and welcome you to the PA boards.

What you say makes a lot of sense when it comes to surgeons. The surgeon who did my ones replacements was anything but warm and fuzzy, but he was an excellent surgeon and gave me my life back by making me mobile again when other surgeons just told me to 'lose weight and I'd be fine'. However when I did have a potential issue with a blood clot after one surgery he was at my side immediately and took control and was suddenly very compassionate and caring. So while Dr. Mary or may not appear warm and fuzzy on the surface I have to believe it takes special people to deal with bariactric patients because for most of us it is a very emotional experience.

I wish you all the best - I have the utmost faith in Barix and their staff and hope you find that as well.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Junomom1
on 8/21/11 6:34 am - PA
 Thanks Kathy, for the kind welcome and for your support!

Marianne
dit657
on 8/21/11 5:02 am - Boothwyn, PA
Okay stupid auto-correct - my msg should say KNEE REPLACEMENTS not ones replacements!!

swedeville1
on 8/22/11 10:58 pm - Mount Pleasant, PA
I thought maybe you got tired of your ones and replaced them with some twos, or maybe even some threes.  My world was topsee turvee for a second there.  Thanks for getting me back on track.  Whew!
Swede

HW=400  SW=383  CW=252  GW=240
Pounds to go=12!!!  Pounds Lost =148

dit657
on 8/22/11 11:01 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Smart-azz - and where the H*LL have you been hiding???

IdaMae D.
on 8/21/11 6:04 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hello Marianne;
Welcome to the boards.  It took me awhile to find a surgeon that would take my case, once I found him I knew he was the one.
Good Luck finding the one!!!
Ida

IdaMae

Junomom1
on 8/21/11 6:35 am - PA
 Thanks, Ida!

Marianne
Lisa H.
on 8/21/11 7:37 am - Whitehall, PA
 Hi Marianne! So glad you joined our happy family.  I did not have my surgery at Barix, but have been to many a support group there and love that part of it.  

You need to make the decision that is best for you and the vibe you are getting from the dr.  My surgeon was awesome as a SURGEON, but his bedside manner and aftercare were terrible.  I had to go to separate drs and facilities for all the supporting things like counseling and nutrition.  I really wish I had done more research into the after care portion, but it's done and I've switched to a better program.  

From what I can tell, Dr. Marymour is the man who will SAVE your life, but the other staff and support groups offered at Barix will CHANGE your life.  

Best of luck and stick around!

My tracker

hers 

Junomom1
on 8/21/11 8:35 am - PA
 Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the welcome! When Teresa had her surgery at Barix, she had nothing but praise for her surgeon and the staff, so I know that Barix has been a great experience for many people.

I think that I may have caught Dr. M. on an off day, or perhaps my expectations were too high.
I am fairly sure that Barix is the place for me. I have heard so many good things about Dr. M.'s skill as a surgeon and that is the bottom line.  If anything happens. I want to know that the surgeon can handle it and I certainly believe he can with his years of experience. I do realize that I will get  the warmth of personal support from many other different sources not the least of which will be the boards. I know T got lots of post-surgical support from the PA forum. And with T, I also have a wealth of information right here!
Thanks for taking the time to write.

I think I will stick around!  ;-)

Marianne
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views