Combating Regain? How did your week go?

Laureen S.
on 8/19/11 1:36 am - Maple Shade, NJ
TGIF!

I'm on a roll at the moment and the momentum is keeping me more on than off track and even with the death of a close relative and subsequent trip to NY to attend funeral services, I still stayed true to my plan of good food choices and exercise.

I think that if I just tough it out, doing what I know I must, it makes for continued progress, for instance, I generally have my workout schedule planned for Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday, with housework and/or other things as another form of activity.  Well with having to go to NY Monday night after working (went home from work, packed clothing and food to take with me, to make sure I had what was necessary to stay on track), I was not able to workout on Tuesday due to the activities surrounding my Great Aunt's services, I did not get home until late Tuesday evening, but set my alarm for 4:40 on Wednesday to make up for what I did not get done on Tuesday, when the alarm went off, I just could not get out of bed, so I was now down one day.  Barix support group happened to be that night and so because it is summer and traffic is lighter than usual (I work about 50+ miles from Barix) I got up there an hour plus early, knowing that I had gym clothes in my car, and there being a Planet Fitness less than 5 minutes from Barix, I decided it was a good opportunity to get a workout in.  It sure did boost my good feeling about where I am going.

I am also happy to report that I am 3 lbs. lighter than I was a month ago and so my sweat equity, paired with better food choices, is paying off. 

Part of this journey for me, is that piece of self-motivation, making things work, as most of my life was about excuses, either real or manufactured.  So for the past week, there were no excuses, just choices to be made and I choose to make the right ones.

Hope you had a good week and if it was less than you wanted it to be, hey, you know what?  You can start your day or week over again!

Have a great weekend!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

dit657
on 8/19/11 11:25 am - Boothwyn, PA
Well I have to tell you that I got a real slap in the face and a major wake up call at the doctors office yesterday when I stepped on the scale - and it's official - I am the Queen of Denial. I knew I had gained 'some' weight but the scale told me I had gained a lot of weight.

So after the assistant took my BP (which was surprisingly good considering my shock at the scale) I sat there in my lovely 'gown' and paper blanket and had time to reflect on my gain and what was going on. What I came up with was this...

For the past year and a half I have been having a big old pity party for myself and using food to comfort it. I felt sorry for myself that I lost my mom; my siblings were all far away; my job is not what I thought it would be at this point in my life; menopause. And I also realized that the weight I had been gaining was taking me back to the old days when I was in pure misery because moving around is becoming harder and I'm not liking what I'm seeing when I look in the mirror.

So instead of the half-hearted attempts I've been making at getting back on track I am committing to (a) buying better food for myself; (b) watching my portions and logging my food; (c) not drinking with meals and (d) exercising on a consistent basis. I'm going back to the beginning of my journey when I weighed almost 400 lbs and am going to journal my food and my moods and exercise. I am absolutely terrified of going back to that person

So that's where I am. I'll need your help and support along the way and I'll do what I can for you.

Thanks - Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Laureen S.
on 8/19/11 12:13 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Kathy,

You appraised your cir****tances, the whys, the hows and more importantly have decided on a plan of attack to meet the challenge. 

Many of us take the detour that leads us back to the dark hallway of denial and regain, but if we run through that hallway as fast as we can, we come out into the sunlight once more.  Only look back to help you stay the course, do not use your missteps as anything more than part of what you needed to set your feet back on the right path and to relearn what you know to be true, that it takes work and dedication to doing what we need to stay healthy. 

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views