Dr. Marymor--perplexed

ladychief231
on 8/18/11 9:20 am - Douglassville, PA
Good Evening PA,

We met with Dr. Marymor today and I have to say we left feeling disappointed. Many of you said he is the best, caring, and personable but we didn't feel any warmth from him at all. We gave us good information and MM is all systems go for surgery but he didn't really listen to questions and is kind of quirky and Curmudgeonly. Are we missing something in him that others see? I'm not sure MM is going to follow through with him as her surgeon at this point. Our other issue is with Toni, she is so unprofessional and immature. I personally take issue with her professionalism and she hasn't gotten any better over the years. I know the nurses upstairs are fantastic but at this point we're really disheartened with our experiences on the first floor.

sorry to be a Debbie downer but I'm hoping someone could give us some advice or another perspective to consider.

Thanks,
Teresa
Rick1965
on 8/18/11 12:52 pm
Lady,

You have no right to bash Dr Marymor in this open forum.  Yes, you surely did miss a lot in your impression of this wonderful surgeon.Over the past four years since my gastric bypass, Dr Marymor has taken time to help me with issues unrelated to gastric bypass any time (day or night). This has not happened once, but numerous times. He gives you his personal cellphone number in case any issues arise. These are just a couple of examples of this caring, compassionate doctor that you are finding fault with. I wish you and MM the best in finding another surgeon that has the experience, and skills that you get with Dr Marymor .

As to your comments concerning the Barix and Toni, It sounds to me you were unhappy with everyone. Maybe you sound take all your negativity, and unhappiness to another facility.

Rick
Lisa H.
on 8/18/11 8:55 pm - Whitehall, PA
 Rick, I'm not sure who you are since I have not seen you on the PA forum before.  But, please know that T (Ladychief) was in no way bashing Dr. Marymour.  She was letting us know that her first impression of him was not what she expected.  She also asked for people who know him better to let her know why she should give him another chance.   She is nothing but a positive influence to all who know her and would never "bash" anyone.   

I'm glad that he has been there for you, as that is what a good surgeon should do.  Unfortunately, I did not have that experience and I often wish I had done more research and traveled down to Barix to have my surgery.  

T and MM want to make sure that they do not make the same mistake that I did and get all the facts before making any decisions. 

My tracker

hers 

ladychief231
on 8/18/11 9:06 pm - Douglassville, PA
Lisa,
You nailed it! Thank you very much for standing up for me/us!
Hugs,
T
lauraanne715
on 8/18/11 8:56 pm - Pottstown, PA
Rick-I don't want to start flaming you for your post but quite frankly I think your response was very harsh. I believe she voiced very real concerns and asked for advice on a situation in a very calm and non aggressive manner. Perhaps it is you that should take your hyped up negativity to another board. This surgery is no joke--it is LIFE ALTERING and I think Ladychief is well within her rights to ask friends here on OH and patients of Dr. M their opinion in order to move forward with a decision. Your post was not very helpful, I believe, in that regard. Perhaps you would do better to be a little more understanding in the future--not everyone feels the same about certain surgeons and just because you seemed to adore him does not mean he is the right surgeon for her friend. Please be aware of that in the future.Thank you.

Laura

Laura
"Two roads diverged in a wood..and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference." -Robert Frost
Over 176+ lbs lost since surgery!! :-)
See my profile for my OH Blog!!

Liz R.
on 8/18/11 8:56 pm - Easton, PA
Rick -w e all have a right to air our opinions, as you stated it is an open forum.  Theresa has been around here for a long time and isn't an angry person, She is concerned for someone that she loves. Every person reacts to others differently but we shouldn't be so judgemental - an opinion is an opinion. Take it or leave it.
(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 11:03 pm - Eastern, PA
On August 18, 2011 at 7:52 PM Pacific Time, Rick1965 wrote:
Lady,

You have no right to bash Dr Marymor in this open forum.  Yes, you surely did miss a lot in your impression of this wonderful surgeon.Over the past four years since my gastric bypass, Dr Marymor has taken time to help me with issues unrelated to gastric bypass any time (day or night). This has not happened once, but numerous times. He gives you his personal cellphone number in case any issues arise. These are just a couple of examples of this caring, compassionate doctor that you are finding fault with. I wish you and MM the best in finding another surgeon that has the experience, and skills that you get with Dr Marymor .

As to your comments concerning the Barix and Toni, It sounds to me you were unhappy with everyone. Maybe you sound take all your negativity, and unhappiness to another facility.

Rick
You need to check yourself a bit, sir.

I am absolutely thrilled that you have had a wonderful go of it with Dr. Marymor, but you response to the original post is disproportionately defensive and judgmental.

That's not how we operate around here. This is a caring community of support, not one where we jump down the throats of one another for asking a question or *daring* to share a dissenting opinion.

You want to be passionate about your surgeon? Awesome. Please don't be rude to others in the process.

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/11 11:27 pm
Well said Norm!

Maura M.
on 8/18/11 1:45 pm - Yardley, PA
Teresa,

You are entitled to your opinion and am glad that you reached out to seek positive feedback about Dr. M to reaffirm all of the great things you have heard about Dr. M.  I was very impressed with Dr. M after my first visit with him after Dr. P. left.  I explained some issues that I have been having with memory and focus and he immediately followed up, took the time to speak with my primary and called me the following day to provide recommendations and he didn't make a penny on my surgery...  He saw my concern about this and he took it as seriously has I do.  I'd give him another shot!

Maura
Maura

Patricia R.
on 8/18/11 2:44 pm - Perry, MI

First impressions are deceiving.  I felt some of that initial awkwardness during my first visit with him, but stuck with him because I liked how he drew pictures for me to explain exactly what he would be doing in the RNY.  He also explained why he did Open RNY at that time. 

The day of my surgery, my Mom and Sister were in pre-op with me when he came to check on me.  He saw their concern, I was cool as a cucumber, and he sat down and drew the pictures again for them, and assured them I would be okay. 

In the past five years, I have been able to call him with questions and concerns, and he went out of his way when I was about 7 months post-op and having extreme pain in my pouch.  He had me come in the next day, and then called St. Mary's to get me in for tests, because the tech did not work that day at Barix.  He then recommended I see a gastroenterologist, who found an ulcer. 

I followed him to Springfield when he was down there.  He called me twice, in the evenings, after I posted personal crises here on OH PA, most recently in October when I was hospitalized with a pulmonary embolism. 

I also saw him in pre-op when I was getting an endoscopy done to check for another ulcer a few months ago, and he asked to go into the OR to observe the procedure.  He did this spontaneously, out of his concern.

As for the Toni, I am not sure if she is the same young lady that I worked with five years ago, but I was not totally thrilled with the service I got from whoever I dealt with back then.  I just kept making phone calls daily till I got my questions answered.  Do remember, that these people usually have more work than a day allows them to complete, so patience is a virture at this time.

I hope this helps give a bigger picture of what type of medical professional Dr. Marymor is.  First impressions are often deceiving.

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views