Letting Go of Perfection, as copied from my DailyOm Reading

Laureen S.
on 8/12/11 12:16 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Set Yourself Free
Letting Go of Perfection
Life becomes much more interesting once we let go of our quest for perfection and aspire for imperfection instead.

It is good to remember that one of our goals in life is to not be perfect. We often lose track of this aspiration. When we make mistakes, we think that we are failing or not measuring up. But if life is about experimenting, experiencing, and learning, then to be imperfect is a prerequisite. Life becomes much more interesting once we let go of our quest for perfection and aspire for imperfection instead.

This doesn’t mean that we don’t strive to be our best. We simply accept that there is no such thing as perfection—especially in life. All living things are in a ceaseless state of movement. Even as you read this, your hair is growing, your cells are dying and being reborn, and your blood is moving through your veins. Your life changes more than it stays the same. Perfection may happen in a moment, but it will not last because it is an impermanent state. Trying to hold on to perfection or forcing it to happen causes frustration and unhappiness.

In spite of this, many of us are in the habit of trying to be perfect. One way to nudge ourselves out of this tendency is to look at our lives and notice that no one is judging us to see whether or not we are perfect. Sometimes, perfectionism is a holdover from our childhood—an ideal we inherited from a demanding parent. We are adults now, and we can choose to let go of the need to perform for someone else’s approval. Similarly, we can choose to experience the universe as a loving place where we are free to be imperfect. Once we realize this, we can begin to take ourselves less seriously and have more fun. Imperfection is inherent to being human. By embracing your imperfections, you embrace yourself.

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

bvohl
on 8/12/11 6:49 am
Laureen,

This is SO true!! I recently have been struggling with not feeling successful with my journey. Then I had an A-HA moment yesterday. We got some rolls of film processed and I had NO idea what was on them. One of the rolls was when we went down the shore about four years ago. It was Dee's first time seeing the ocean and feeling the sand in her toes. I remember that she didn't like the ocean too much but LOVED making sand castles with Dad! Well, there were a couple of pictures of me pre-WLS. OMG! It was definitely a defining moment for me. This post definitely speaks to me especially with me thinking that until I get to a certain number on the scale I will not be considered a success in my mind. Those pictures proved to me that I AM a success and that I have continued to succeed keeping the majority of the weight I lost off!! Am I perfect? NOPE, but I am human and I will embrace those imperfections!!

Thanks, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Lois G.
on 8/12/11 10:37 am - Ashland, PA
wow, me perfect,, not in my vocabulary, never was and won't be, someone who wants to succeed, yes, I am doing that each day, perfect, no. but I in the game for the long run and thankful for all my friends and wls'ers out there that remind me of where I was and where I came from and where I am heading........FORWARD.......
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views