3rd Treatment Progress Report

Happy to be in
Onederland

on 8/10/11 10:20 am, edited 8/12/11 2:31 am
Had my 3rd Radiation Treatments today and my 1st Chemo Session.  It all went well, I wasn't expecting it to take all day, but it did.  I slept good during treatment from the drugs they gave for anxiety and nausea.  Afterwards I attended a Cancer Society Support Group.  They had free makeup and so forth to help with the changes our skin will go thru.  We also tried on wigs for an idea of whats out there.  Synthetic is the way to go if needed because it is so much lighter. They also fed me during Chemo.  It was quite a selection, but for me not to much to choose from.  I wound up with a hard boiled egg, chef's salad with diet dressing, sugar free Jello and decaf tea.  Breakfast I would not touch with a 10 foot pole ... it was all muffins, danish, bananas and high carb fruits.  Not a smidge of protein to be found anywhere.  So I was glad I brought my own cheese sticks.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Arlene E.
on 8/10/11 11:31 am - Philadelphia, PA

Glad it is going well and hope it continues to do so.  It is mind boggling what they will feed you.  On one of my hospital stays I had to beg for some protein at breakfast and it took all day to get it to me.

Thoughts continue to be with you, Nan.

arlene 

(deactivated member)
on 8/10/11 11:52 am - Santa Cruz, CA
We are all praying for you.  I've had to sit by for another person to get chemo, and it is painful to
see how hard all the nurses work, and how patient the folks are.

Best wishes,
Lisa H.
on 8/10/11 2:22 pm - Whitehall, PA
 Always prepared that Nan is...    Sounds like the support group was good for you.  I'm glad the treatments are going well and you are always in my thoughts

My tracker

hers 

Lois G.
on 8/10/11 8:57 pm - Ashland, PA
We started yesterday with Mike....I am glad that you are feeling ok, will keep you in our prayers, and will continue until you are all better and back where you want to be...oh yes, what an excuse to shop........(wigs) us gals will do anything to buy stuff.......lol.........only kidding you know that...love you and will pray for you daily......Lois
philliesphan
on 8/10/11 9:26 pm
Definitely sounds like an interesting experience!  Glad it went well and sleep is always good : )
-- Carolyn

(-32 before RNY)                                 GOAL !

IdaMae D.
on 8/10/11 9:56 pm - Philadelphia, PA
We continue to send our prayers...

IdaMae

bvohl
on 8/10/11 10:00 pm
Nan,

Glad things are moving along! Sounds like the support group is a good thing!! It is good to be prepared with our own protein especially when you have no idea what there is to eat!! When I went to the hospital yesterday I brought my own baggy of snacks which was a great idea especially being stuck in traffic, BLECH!!

Positive thoughts and prayers to you!!
Love, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

dit657
on 8/10/11 10:07 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Hi Nan - your spirits sound good - that's a huge benefit to getting through all this, I'm sure. Take advantage of as many of the classes and benefits they Cancer society has to offer. When my mom lost her hair we bought her one very expensive wig at a shop, but found that she loved the synthetic ones she got from a Paula Young wig catalog - they were inexpensive and very, very attractive - she would have her regular stylist trim them and very few people knew she was wearing a wig - plus with the less costly ones she could afford several and rotate them as she washed them. We never shaved her head, but as her hair did start coming out it came out in clumps at different areas on her head, and then the wigs wouldn't sit right, so she had me cut it very, very close. I will say after her treatments were done her hair came back in thicker and healthier than it had ever been - so there is light at the end of that tunnel.

Maybe mention to the center where you're going for treatment that some protein options for breakfast would be a good thing, especially for people with sugar issues, because I'm sure there are many diabetic people also going through treatments. I know they wanted my mom to eat and even gain a few pounds before treatments really kicked in - they were thrilled when she would go up a couple of pounds. They actually told my brother the same thing - but for us I know any gain can be scary.

I may still have foam 'heads' that were my moms to keep wigs on - helps them dry and retain their shape. If you're interested I'll check and see if I still have them.

Take care - glad to see you posting! Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Laureen S.
on 8/10/11 10:59 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Nan,

Thanks for the update and glad to read that you were able to sleep through the treatment, went prepared, that your whole attitude appears to be rolling with what you need to, as attitude is definitely half the battle within your fight now.  Hugs and prayers as you go through this, remember you bring with you all the love and prayers of a bunch of folks who care about you!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views