Information for Newbies

Laureen S.
on 7/29/11 10:29 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
As this is a common complaint and one I remember experiencing, I got this as part of a group I belong to and it is a person sharing some good information to help you know what is happening, so I copied her commentary below:

"I keep forgetting that so many people go into surgery not knowing as much as I did when I went into surgery. I need to remember this and remind the members of things that they might not know in the future.

When I was going through surgery, I was ready for and expecting the inevitable 3rd to 7th week stall. I often forget that some newbies don't know to expect it. They should. You should be expecting it when it happens so you know that it is coming and you are mentally prepared for that period when the scale doesn't budge early out.

(and don't forget to take your measurements every week early out too so that you have something else to measure yourself by other than the scale).

When your body first goes into surgery, it knows shortly afterward that it is starving. It needs food but you are taking in such little nutrition after surgery that it tries to sneak your glycogen stores. Glycogen stores are the "quick energy" stores that allow you for instance to run out quickly if a mouse is on the floor. It's your "instant energy" in your body.

So your body thinks "hmmm...it's just a little hurdle, I'll get my energy from the glygogen stores".

Well after a few weeks of this, your body realizes that this is not a short term thing anymore. It realizes that using energy from your glycogen stores isn't very efficient and very long term. So it has to THINK a bit.

(This is where the stall comes in).

Then it says "A-hah!!!!". It realizes that it has a lot of fuel on your body - your fat stores, so it's going to start burning some energy from there and shrink those fat cells.

Then the body will resume into full burning mode and guess what? The scale will start moving again.

This is a GREAT things when it happens. Although it sucks that the scale doesn't move, it means that is going to start burning the stored fat you have (especially the stuff in your butt! LOL!).

So be happy about that inevitable stall - it's fat burnin' season!"

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

sunshine54
on 7/30/11 1:52 pm - CA
RNY on 11/22/16
Laureen
Thank You so much for the heads-up and posting this! Forwarned is forearmed !

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

It's never To Late To Be Who You might have been ! 
George Eliot 

[url=http://lilyslim.com][img]http://swlf.lilyslim.com/eNSTm8.png[/img][/url]

sandy L.
on 7/30/11 2:55 pm - Altoona, PA
 Thanks for reposting.  No matter how prepared you are for this surgery, there's still lots of little things they don't tell you.  

Jackie Fisher
on 8/5/11 8:29 am - PA
Thanks so much Laureen!! This is one of the many reasons I love this site so much and give thanks to Beth and Dennis for introducing me!! You guys and girls and full of so much information I wouldn't otherwise get anywhere else!! There is no information like firsthand information!! 
"Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present."

-Jackie

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views