1 YR AGO TODAY, CHANGED MY LIFE!!!

gmom62
on 7/28/11 12:44 am - Clifton Heights, PA

One year ago today, I did the most selfish thing I have ever done and probably will ever do.  I had RNY bypass surgery.  This was a decision I did not make easily.  I was a little apprehensive to say the least.  But with my families love and support, I decided it was the best choice to make. Cherish was and continues to be a HUGE, HUGE support for me as well.  Since she is my bestie and we work together. She makes this journey all the more fun together. We recently went to Dorney Park to ride the rides and especially the roller coasters that we have not been able to ride in years.  We had SOOOO much fun!!  I continue to have issues with my feet, plantar fisciitis and heel and bone spurs as well as arthritis in my knees. But taking off over 100 lbs has made these issues barable. I also no longer have high blood pressure issues.  My other reason for making this change in my life, was my grand-daughter.  At the time of my surgery she was just 14 mos old. Now she's 26 mos old and I can sit with her on the floor, get down on my hands and knees and play with her and not need a crane to help me up off the floor.  AND this past Monday, 25th I have a brand new grand-daughter to look forward to spending a lot of time playing with.  Thanks to this wonderful new life I have, I will have many years to play with my grand children.

I continue to have wow moments even after a year.  But my most memorable will always be my dad's reaction to seeing me at Christmas which was the first time since my surgery that I saw him.  My father has always been a man of few words.  When we went to their house to visit for the holidays, I was down about 75 lbs.  He couldn't believe the change in me that soon after my surgery.  He actually told me I looked fabulous!!  I was a bit weapy after that comment.  Now, everytime he sees me he still says he can't believe how fantastic I look.  

I also have my issues with food, like everyone else does.  I know that carbs, even before surgery, where an issue for me.  Today, that has not changed.  I will not eat rice.  I have VERY little pasta. Maybe once a month.  I also eat very little bread.  It's not because I can't eat them.  I CAN! And that's the problem.  So as I continue on the journey, I have become aware of the fact that I MUST log the food I eat so my carbs don't get out of hand.  I need to exercise 6 days a week. Which was never a problem for me to begin with.  Cherish thinks I'm nuts because I really like to exercise.  But hey, we all have our quirks, right.

I also, want to say thank you to each and every one of you for your love and support.  I may not post on here often but trust me, I do read most days of the week.

Sorry this is so long.  Thanks for reading.

Cyd

Laureen S.
on 7/28/11 12:59 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Cyd,

Happy Surgiversary!!!  You've done an amazing job and I hear you with regard to being better able to enjoy your grandchildren and congrats on the birth of the new granddaughter!!!  My son's children have a whole different grandmother than my older daughter's children had, as back when they were little I could not get up and down easy and running and playing was not something I could do and that was 13 and 9 years ago, so kudos and enjoy your continued life's adventure.

Best wishes, Laureen

P.S.  I wish I could say I love to exercise, but I do it anyway because I know not to is the path to my destruction, as my regained weight has shown me. 

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

spirit56
on 7/28/11 2:05 am - Philadelphia, PA
Happy Surgiversary Cyd  As I said last Wed. night at Barix, you need to get a new avatar because you look NOTHING like the picture that is there.  You heard me share last week that the 2nd year was a lot harder than the first year.  Lucky for you - you like to exercise - I can't stand it.  Keep those WOW moments close to you (esp. your dad's reactions)  Having Cherish as your bestie is great.  Both of you have done an awesome job with your tool this past year.  Look are how far you have come.  Also congrats on the new grand - born on my birthday - so you know that the child is destined for greatness  Take good care of yourself and enjoy the day.

Donna
Arlene E.
on 7/28/11 2:08 am - Philadelphia, PA

Congratulations Cyd!!!  You have done an amazing job and look marvelous.  Keep enjoying the new you and many fun years ahead with your grands.

Arlene 

Cherish F.
on 7/28/11 4:12 am - Philadelphia, PA
Happy Surgiversary Cyd!!!
Brace yourself - I'm gonna get all mushy.

I can't express how proud I am of you and how well you've done this past year. You've taken this tool we've been given and are working it for all it's worth. And I have so much enjoyed sharing your, and mine, WOW moments together. In our daily life we are surrounded by people who love us, but have a hard time "getting" it. And having each other to call/text/message makes things so much easier.

Having you by my side has been one of the highlights of this journey. In the many ways (many) we are opposites, these are the exact ways you support me and carry me through. You are my rock keeping my head on straight and keeping me grounded.

We are going to rock year 2!
Love you!
~ Cherish
 Cherish
Consult Weight/ Surgery Weight/Current Weight/  Goal Weight, Reached 4/7/11!!
     294                     286.5                     165.5                     164

Full abdominoplasty & Breast Reduction/Lift - 4/9/12!

Even miracles take a little time. ~ Cinderella

(deactivated member)
on 7/28/11 5:47 am - Hatboro, PA
Happy Surgivarsy!  Congrats on all of your success in this past year!  
lynnc99
on 7/28/11 6:24 am

The surgiversaries are all amazing, but the first is probably the most memorable! Congratulations on all you have done and continue to do!

Lisa H.
on 7/28/11 6:27 am - Whitehall, PA
 Congrats on your year surgiversary, Cyd! I'm so glad to be sharing this journey with you!! 

My tracker

hers 

jastypes
on 7/28/11 6:31 am - Croydon, PA

Congratulations, Cyd!!!  You are doing an awesome job.  You really have a handle on how to stay on the path.  I'm jealous!  Seriously time for a new pic!!!

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

IdaMae D.
on 7/28/11 7:10 am - Philadelphia, PA
congratulations Cyd on your first of many years!!!!!

Ida

IdaMae

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views