Trying to Keep My Head With My Feet

jastypes
on 7/27/11 10:48 pm - Croydon, PA
Just for today, I am trying to keep my head with my feet.  My head seems to keep running ahead of me.  I find myself worried about things coming up.  I find myself planning things, good and bad.  I find myself unable to concentrate on what is in front of my eyes.  Morning meditation was nearly impossible, as my thoughts kept wandering.  And at some point I decided that my butt was on a train seat, my feet were not moving, and my head needed to stay with my feet!  This is harder than it sounds.  Any suggestions? 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Laureen S.
on 7/28/11 12:52 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Worry is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
--Arthur Somers Roche

A trickle of water that drains down the side of a hill poses no problem to the hill, its vegetation, or the people living in the valley. But if that trickle grows into a stream, the water will erode a path, carrying along plants, rocks, and soil, endangering the lives and property of the people in the valley.

When a worry nags us, it is like that trickle. It poses little threat to us and can be stopped at any time because it is so small. But if we let more worrisome thoughts feed into the stream, we will allow it to grow until all of our thoughts and energy are focused on one worry that has attained great power.

We all have things we worry about. But we don't have to give these worries more than passing acknowledgment. The trickles that run through our minds are okay to have. But to keep them at that size, we need to remember what is important to us at this very moment. We don't need to let the worries grow.

I have worries just like everyone else. However, I don't have to dwell upon my worries or make them any bigger than what they are.

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Laureen S.
on 7/28/11 1:04 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Jill,

I gave you a reading about worry that I received via email from Hazelden, which I receive daily.  Most of those posts are inspirational and the message they send me appropriate for whatever is going on in my life, hopefully that helps a little. . .

Another trick, my old sponsor would tell me is everytime I got too far ahead of myself, was to look down at my feet and ask for help from my HP to keep me focused on the moment I am in.  Some days it took lots of prayers and looking down, but eventually it worked.  Reaching out and listening to someone else's stuff also helps.  Remember often times we plan ahead and everything changes anyway, so plan with a wide berth for what life may bring your way, usually what is brought your way is far better than what your mind manufacturers.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

enasangels
on 7/28/11 6:49 pm, edited 7/28/11 6:51 pm - PA
Lauren,
Thanks for the words of wisdom. They are helpful for all that I am going through now. I just need to remember to pull myself back and do it. Sometimes staying grounded is not easy, too many distractions make it hard.
Ena

"Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views