Combating Regain - How Goes it?

Laureen S.
on 7/24/11 11:30 pm, edited 7/25/11 1:23 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Happy Monday! The beginning of another work week for many of us . . .

So how is everyone who has had any weight gain post-WLS doing? Are you fighting the good fight? Protein, veggies, fruits, fluids, vitamin supplements? Exercise playing a role in your life? Staying within the known guidelines of what can aid you long-term, or are you like I did, thinking hmmm, now that I have arrived at a place, let me see just how much I can get away with? Do you think anything like I did? I had this thought process that it would be easy to maintain my weight loss, hah, was a wake up call I got when my clothes got tighter and not wanting to know the real deal, I avoided the scale, I mean my clothes still fit, but tighter and then guess what, they got so tight I had to buy the next size. So angry I was at myself for allowing this to happen. Well the anger was not a good thing for me, as anger is an emotion I ate over for many years, but the good part is, I attended support groups and I got on the scale and made a decision to take charge of what was happening and it's been a little while now, but I am back to doing what I know to work and those are the very same things that worked in my first wonderous year post-op.

So if you can relate to this post in any way, take whatever you are feeling and turn it around, put the energy of those feelings into positive action and take charge of what lies within you, for that tool your surgeon gave is still there, it works, trust me when I say that since I started back on doing what is right, I am paying attention and the signal to stop is there and I listen and I don't graze on things that I know will do damage to what I am trying to accomplish.

Ok, so it's not just a number on a scale or a size that I want to wear, but those things matter too, what I am trying to do today is live a healthier life, making food fuel to be healthy, instead of using food as a tool to quiet the nagging feelings that I ate over. I am using my body the way it is meant to be used, giving it an outlet to be active, via regular exercise, for if I stop doing these things, then I become lazy and disgusted with myself and that for me is a bad place to be, I've been there for most of my adult life and I really do have choices and today I am choosing to live life fully engaged, as opposed to living on the sidelines and feeling left out.

Happy Monday, it's all in your hands, make it count!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

spirit56
on 7/25/11 3:47 am - Philadelphia, PA
Good afternoon Laureen,

Today is my birthday - so Happy Birthday to me.  Celebrated yesterday with my mom, sisters and nephew.  Did very well at the restaurant - had two eggplant parm and 2 tiny spring rolls.  Had some fruit later on for dessert and a taste of cake.  Haven't been too good on the exercise with the heat.  Intend to go to Zumba tomorrow AM and need to get out and do some food shopping.  Was good to be at Barix last Wed. night and to see familiar faces.  Just trying to stay in the present moment and to be positive about the good changes that have happened to me in the last 2 years.  Take care.

Donna
Laureen S.
on 7/25/11 4:26 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Donna,

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday dear Donna, Happy Birthday to YOU!!! 

You're giving yourself the best birthday ever by remembering to accentuate the positive.  As I've said recently, exercise for me makes me hesitate when it comes to putting the stuff I know is not in my best interests in my shopping cart and more importantly my mouth, since other people can eat what they want and I have to be more mindful of exactly what I choose. 

It was great seeing you and I hope to see you next weekend and if not, 3rd Wednesday of August.

Hugs, Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

lynnc99
on 7/25/11 7:51 am
Hey birthday girl! Sending you {{{{hugs}}}} and good wishes for every day of the year ahead! (And just think of what life looked like 2 years ago....or 3. Amazing huh?)
Nicole0216
on 7/25/11 4:03 am - Lancaster, PA
Hiya I have teamed up with another post op that is further out. We both want to get back on track and lose 20 by Dec. We are working together to support each other, check in and track our progress. So I hope this works out
Laureen S.
on 7/25/11 4:28 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Yay, the team idea is a good one, as it keeps us accountable to one another, as well as helps us cheer one another on, so glad you're one of many on my team!!!  Let's not hope, but believe that it will work out!!!

Hugs, Laureen

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views