Post op Therapy?

liz52408
on 7/20/11 2:35 am
Has anyone had any post-op therapy sessions?  If so who would you recommend (I am in south central PA region)   Thanks!!
Liz

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/11 4:07 am
Hi, we had the same doctor.  I am starting post op therapy..my first appt is Aug 1st.  I am going back to see the therapist at the weight loss center.  Congrats on your weight loss, you did amazing :)
liz52408
on 7/20/11 5:41 am
On July 20, 2011 at 11:07 AM Pacific Time, Pam46 wrote:
Hi, we had the same doctor.  I am starting post op therapy..my first appt is Aug 1st.  I am going back to see the therapist at the weight loss center.  Congrats on your weight loss, you did amazing :)
Hi, yes we did!  Dr. Rogers is great!!  oh ok I tried calling the center today, but no one anwsered.  If you dont mind me asking, what are your reasons for doing the post-op therapy (its ok if you'd rather not say, just wondering)  It seems since I have plateaued with my weight loss something is different, my husband noticed too, just I am not my normal self anymore- kind of out of it, in a daze, I have started supplementing more B12 and also Vitamin D (not sure if that has anything to do with my "mood")  Its hard to explain, but its as if I feel very weak and no energy at all.  My pcp would rather not put me on any meds at this point, because of trying to get pregnant within the next 6mths- a year.  So I thought maybe talking to a therapist would help.  I guess I would see Dr. Rigby at the center?     thanks so much, I am happy with the amount of weight I have lost :)

Nicole0216
on 7/20/11 5:15 am - Lancaster, PA
Liz when you say south central where do you mean?

I think we all need to be in therapy. Even though I am a therapist myself. I am in therapy.
I am convinced that Obesity could be classified as an addiction/MH issue, much more so then a food issue
liz52408
on 7/20/11 5:46 am
Hi Nicole- sorry I should have been more specific with my area :)   I am in York.     

Well when I had posted something about it, someone had mentioned therapy- which I never really thought I "needed"- I guess I just thought once I would lose the weight everything would be great!!  Well now it seems as though I am more depressed NOW after losing 100+ lbs than when I was obese!!  Just doesn't make any sense!  I also have noticed the change in myself more recently (like within last 6 mths) also the same time frame when I had stopped losing so much weight as well...
so I am open to suggestions or recommendations of therapists in the area to try it out to see if it helps at all.

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/11 12:41 am
Hi Liz, I decided to go to therapy because I am finding myself getting worse with my depression and over eating due to stress.  Like you I just feel I am useless and I am not myself.  I went to my family doctor because I get light headed all the time and she thinks it is all in my head lol.  So I decided to go talk to Dr. Rigby and hopefully someone can shed some light on my head problem.  Right now being down all I want to do is eat eat and eat and of course nothing stays down.  Good Luck and I hope you get things taken care of as well. 
liz52408
on 7/21/11 1:02 am
On July 21, 2011 at 7:41 AM Pacific Time, Pam46 wrote:
Hi Liz, I decided to go to therapy because I am finding myself getting worse with my depression and over eating due to stress.  Like you I just feel I am useless and I am not myself.  I went to my family doctor because I get light headed all the time and she thinks it is all in my head lol.  So I decided to go talk to Dr. Rigby and hopefully someone can shed some light on my head problem.  Right now being down all I want to do is eat eat and eat and of course nothing stays down.  Good Luck and I hope you get things taken care of as well. 
Hi Pam, thanks for sharing- Im glad I am not the only one having these feelings!   I am eating the wrong kinds of foods and need to get back on track, even though I havent gained any weight I just feel crappy.  I notice if I am not drinking enough liquids I get light headed, so I have tried to up my water intake.  I hate when Dr's think its all in your head!!  ok I will call Dr Rigby, I wasnt sure if she just dealt with pre-op patients or not.  I know what you mean, hopefully she can help and you start to feel better soon!  thanks- same to you!   Oh also have you been to any of the meetings after you surgery?  I have not, but wouldnt mind going, I think they are on break for the summer.

jastypes
on 7/21/11 10:54 pm - Croydon, PA
I think some sort of therapy is very helpful after weight loss surgery.  I could probably use some more myself!  It seems to not make sense when we see the positive changes that losing 100+ pounds makes in our lives, but consider what it took in order for that to happen.  For some of us, it meant giving up our best friend (food), our source of comfort (food) and our favorite pasttime (food again).  Sure, I have more energy and can do more physical activity than ever before.  Yes, I have come out of my shell socially, so to speak, more than ever before.  But I find that putting myself out there led to other issues that I didn't have before (alcoholism for me), and also has caused me to deal with feelings and emotions I used to keep stuffed down with food and buried under layers of fat. 

Support groups are key for me at this point (AA, OA and Barix).  I did have some therapy to deal with my drinking, but stopped going once I had a firm hold on sobriety.  I think that I could really use some more therapy to get to root causes and conditions for my compulsive overeating as well.

Thanks for sharing your feelings on this forum.  It helps and encourages others when we know we are not alone on this journey.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

liz52408
on 7/22/11 1:04 am
On July 22, 2011 at 5:54 AM Pacific Time, jastypes wrote:
I think some sort of therapy is very helpful after weight loss surgery.  I could probably use some more myself!  It seems to not make sense when we see the positive changes that losing 100+ pounds makes in our lives, but consider what it took in order for that to happen.  For some of us, it meant giving up our best friend (food), our source of comfort (food) and our favorite pasttime (food again).  Sure, I have more energy and can do more physical activity than ever before.  Yes, I have come out of my shell socially, so to speak, more than ever before.  But I find that putting myself out there led to other issues that I didn't have before (alcoholism for me), and also has caused me to deal with feelings and emotions I used to keep stuffed down with food and buried under layers of fat. 

Support groups are key for me at this point (AA, OA and Barix).  I did have some therapy to deal with my drinking, but stopped going once I had a firm hold on sobriety.  I think that I could really use some more therapy to get to root causes and conditions for my compulsive overeating as well.

Thanks for sharing your feelings on this forum.  It helps and encourages others when we know we are not alone on this journey.
Hi, yes now that I am going through the 'psychological part' I think therapy is a good idea too, now a year ago I wouldn't have even thought about therapy at all.  I definetly agree with you on the food issue, it used to be a barrier.

I want to get to support groups also, I think that would help.  Where exactly is Barix?

Sure, no problem- I have been very open with every stage of having surgery, except for this part, but I do feel better talking to people about it.  I talked with my mom about going to therapy last night and she thinks it is good since I have been through major changes. Thanks for your reply as well, it is nice to know your not alone in having these issues and I'm thankful to have everyone here that is a great support system (I havent been around here much lately, but I hope to change that! )   Good luck to you!

liz52408
on 7/22/11 12:55 am
On July 21, 2011 at 7:41 AM Pacific Time, Pam46 wrote:
I called and got an appt with Dr. Rigby next week, I think it will help alot. As she said over the phone after the "honeymoon" phase is over its hard for some people and they think ok now what do I do? 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views