Straws?

lynnc99
on 7/19/11 7:26 am
Yes, I remember the admonition not to use them.

But they do come in handy when driving along with a drink cup. Is there any problem with using them once we are a couple of years out? I think the issue initially is related to swallowing air.
IdaMae D.
on 7/19/11 9:01 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Lynn;

My surgen instructed me not to use a straw for the first 6 months due to swallowing air. 

After my 6 months was up I asked if I could use a straw again, I drink a lot more fluid when I use a straw, he said to go ahead so I've been using one since my 7th month out from surgery.  I'm sure other surgeons have other thoughts and precautions for using straws.  I'm very happy my doc was on that 6 month rule, I have always used straws so it was very hard for me to get in enough fluids when I was straw restricted.

Gene will not use a straw, but he never did and also has a lot of acid problems so he avoids anything that might aggrivate that.

Ida

IdaMae

Decolady
on 7/19/11 9:50 pm - Bethlehem Twp., PA
I always use a straw when drinking coffee, my dentist says it keeps the stains off the front of my teeth.  I have not had any problem wih it.

Deb
dit657
on 7/20/11 12:30 am - Boothwyn, PA
I use them in the morning with my iced coffee and all day with my water - I get much more water in using my water bottle & straw than if I just had a cup of water sitting on my desk. And I had a protein shake this morning and use one for that, too. I think once you're past the 6-8 month period it's fine - I haven't had any problems with it.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views