Zantac post op?

lynnc99
on 7/10/11 11:06 pm
After my surgery, Dr P prescribed zantac for 3-6 months to reduce the chance of acid problems and ulcers. After that she recommended a probiotic, which I take daily.

I have had a little bout with acid stomach lately - short but intense feelings of acidity and pain. I recall reading that it may be helpful for rny patients to stay on zantac daily for life...have any of you heard this or continued to take this?

My 2 yr surgiversary is Friday, and I see Dr Marymor next week so will certainly ask him, but wondered if anyone has continued on the zantac or anything similar.

I also wonder if this is the result of drinking too many drinks with a lot of citric acid such a s Mio and powerade zero.
enasangels
on 7/11/11 12:24 am - PA
Hi Lynn,
I take Nexium daily and more than likely will for the rest of my life as I also take a baby aspirin daily too, as a result of heart surgery I had for a problem they found when I went thru my initial tests for WLS.  As far as the acid in drinks, it makes sense that it could be contributing to the problem.
Hope you are able to find a solution to the problem.
 Ena

"Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

Lois G.
on 7/11/11 12:41 am - Ashland, PA
I take ranitidine since I had surgery, generic for zantac, I had surgery four years ago...I stopped for a short time the first year and felt I needed it, so I am still on it, not for acid reflux but for protection for getting a ulcers.................won't hurt ya

IdaMae D.
on 7/11/11 10:14 am - Philadelphia, PA
Lynn,

Gene has been on protonix since his surgery which was in 2006 and has continued to take this.  He can't go off it without acid flairing up.  

When I was in the hospital last September they changed me to protonix as well.

Ida

IdaMae

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views