Calorie watch???

Mommy0fTw0
on 7/3/11 3:37 am - PA
okay so i have a question for everyone....  i ment to ask it at the last meeting i was at but i feel super weird asking questions or bringing anything up so here it goes....

does anyone watch how many calories they are taking in??? im coming into a problem ( says my hubby) i watch everything i eat including calories. it kills me to eat anything over 150 in a day..  i know that is very unhealthy but yet im meeting my protein goals. (well almost) i suppose to get 70 grams and i get 40 in a day.  so should i be watching my calories> and if so what is a good number to watch how high should i go. i tried asking my nut but well to be honest i don’t think is helpful at all!!! i read in an article that 65% of people who have WLS become some form of anorexic.. my husband is getting worried that i might become that way.  but the weight is coming off.. and im in love with that fact iam going to be healthier. i have had no complications so far i have never dumped  i do get light headed when it is hot i meet my liquid goals in day...  so i dont know what i should do... should i not worry about the calories? should i watch them? i do watch my protein, my fat intake my crab intake and of course my sugar intake, i do less then the serving size casue when i eat i cant eat that much. i got yelled by a nut on saturday casue i eat pickels for a while that was the olny thing i craved and wanted to eat... HELP.. am i doing something wrong?? 
bvohl
on 7/3/11 4:10 am
How far out are you? I am guessing you are early in the game. Right now, protein is of most importance! You really need to aim at getting your protein and liquid in!! Calorie counting comes later down the line....

Good luck!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Mommy0fTw0
on 7/3/11 4:22 am - PA
im alittle over three months ( July 23) will be four months
re7777
on 7/3/11 2:11 pm - PA
I admit that although I'm only 6 weeks out, I do keep track of my calories to get back in the habit of tracking them. However, my main focus right now is protein and liquids. It's interesting to see how many calories I'm taking in, usually around 500 to 650.  I see it as a helpful tool, but that's it, a tool.

Sleeved 5/24/11
Highest Weight - 255
Day of Surgery - 237

Cheryl.P
on 7/3/11 9:29 pm - Philadelphia, PA
maybe you should post a sample menu. i don't see how you could only eat 150 calories a day because even a scoop of protein powder is 100 calories.

every gram of protein has 5 calories  so for 70 grams of protein that should be 350 calories plus what ever other calories are in the food. example an egg is 70 calories and 6 gram of protein.

the barix nutritionist told me 1000 to 1250 calories a day. is healthy. but most people try to keep it at 800 to 1000 a day. i am  about a year out and was told that in the beginning you don't need to but at i year  out you should start because weight loss slows and old habits  creep back in,so i would say if you at least start looking at the calorie intake you will have more info to make better choices when you really need to.
(deactivated member)
on 7/4/11 12:39 am - Eastern, PA
The further out you are, watching your caloric itake becomes more important. However, at three months out, you shouldn't be quite as occupied with calories as you appear to be.

150 calories in a day is starvation level, and may actually slow (possibly halt) your weight loss. And if you are only getting 40 grams of protein a day at three months out, that's not "almost" getting your protein in, that is barely over 50% of your daily goal, and that is absolutely not enough for you at three months out. And FYI, one gram of protein has 4 calories, so if you're getting 40 grams, you're at 160 calories right there.

My advice, take what you can use and leave the rest behind:

1. You absolutely must get your protein up higher. How are you getting it right now? Shakes, poweders?

2. You will NOT be healthy long term if you continue to eat 150 calories a day. You will get sick.

3. There's nothing wrong with limiting your carbs and fats, but if you completely cut fat out of your diet, you will have a terrible time with constipation.

4. Be mindful of your calories, but much more so about your protein. The weight will still come off, but you will be setting yourself up for a healthier long-term solution

5. There's nothing wrong with pickles. :)
swedeville1
on 7/5/11 10:21 pm - Mount Pleasant, PA
I agree with everything Norm said!  Dont cut corners on your health.  Get the protein and the liquids in.  You need to fuel your body.  Your metabalism will work better if you feed it.  Listen to your nutritionist and your doctor and follow the plan they have for you.  That dont just make this stuff up as they go along, they know whats best for you. 
Swede

HW=400  SW=383  CW=252  GW=240
Pounds to go=12!!!  Pounds Lost =148

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/11 1:44 am
At this point out you really do not need to watch calories but you do need meet protein goals. There is a reason they give us goals to meet and that is for health and long term success. You say you are getting light headed that is because you are not feeding your body enough and more then likely have hypoglycemic reactions.

Also why pickles are not a bad thing if your getting in your protein then treat yourself to the pickles. Also if you were at Barix I can not picture Helene or Barb yelling at anyone just give you the advice to get your protein in.
Laureen S.
on 7/5/11 12:55 am - Maple Shade, NJ
As has been said already and Norm gave you sage advice, you are taking in too little and calories are not your concern this early out, calories are the concern once we are in the maintenance part of things. 

Think of your body as an engine, without fuel the engine siezes up and burns out, you need to fuel it in order for it to burn the fat and that is why this part of the journey is about meeting your protein goals, fluid intake and taking your vitamins, as well as a physical component to aid the process.  As you get further out and can fit it in, veggies and some fruit are appropriate, but right now listen to what Norm told you and as for what you read, or know, to be quiet honest, what I know got me to a place where I needed surgical intervention and the NUTs at Barix are in the know as to what works for WLS people, educate yourself all you want, but be willing to follow the advice of the people who are professionals in this arena and I, too, can't imagine Helene or Barbara yelling at anyone and if they admonished you not to eat pickles, it was probably because of you being early out and thinking it might cause your stomach some issues this early out.  The Barix "bible" I was given, from recollection stated that I should not have more than 10 fat grams per meal, or if I am correct, as I don't have it with me right now, no more than 42 (49) grams per day.  As for dumping, if you avoid high fats and sugar, you chew what foods you eat well enough, chances are you won't have to experience dumping. 

I wish you continued health and the way to achieve that is by doing things the way they were prescribed from your surgeon and NUT and if you have a bad experience with one NUT, you can always ask for the other one to give you advice.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

jastypes
on 7/5/11 3:02 am - Croydon, PA
I was NEVER given a calorie goal.  I had a protein goal of 60 grams; fat goal of 30 grams with no more than 10 grams at one time; and nothing with more than 2 grams of added sugar. 

Protein is CRUCIAL.  40 grams is not enough.  I was warned over and over again about what a protein deficiency can do to you. 

I am 4 years out and could use a little more "guidance," but I have never forgotten those first critical months where calories were not even a blip on my radar screen.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views