Combatting regain. . .

Laureen S.
on 6/16/11 11:47 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Thanks to all of you for your responses and insights shared to the post I shared yesterday.

In the true form of what works, which is support, and sure there is plenty on here, but I think I may post this once or twice weekly, perhaps on Monday's and Friday's.

For those of us who have been around awhile, remember all those WOW moments, which made us feel good and kept us motivated, well for many of us, life is "normal" now, those kind of things are behind us, however, I think we are going to create our own motivational WOW moments by sharing some of the ways we are combatting our regain today and possibly sharing a bit of our hopes going forward.

So here goes. . .

This week I combatted my regain by spending one hour per day, 3 days so far, working out, whether I was tired or not, I showed up for myself, I can even say that I enjoyed it one day and am hoping that eventually I will really look forward to and like working out and find something I really like doing there.  I also kept my food intake to what I know is in my best interests and am further hoping that I can lose the 15 lbs. that I do not want to take with me on my life's journey.

Thanks for your support.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

jastypes
on 6/17/11 12:11 am - Croydon, PA
I absolutely love the idea of sharing our successes.  It is so true that the most powerful WOWs came in the early months.  Now I know why they call it the honeymoon period.  But you are also correct that we succeed along the way and can and should give ourselves credit for the positive things we do for our body!

This week I combatted my regain by showing up at a support group meeting; remaining sugar-free, and taking my supplements. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Nicole0216
on 6/17/11 7:07 am - Lancaster, PA
love you Laureen I am continuing to struggle with this 30 regain and would love to get it off.
dit657
on 6/17/11 7:18 am - Boothwyn, PA
Laureen I think this is an awesome topic to post regularly and I would love to be a part of it.

I've had a regain as well - am so disappointed in the fact that I can't get into the jeans I wore 2 summers ago. I never went into this expecting to be a size 5 but was very happy being in the 16-18 size range. Want to get back there but I want to do it using my tool and the things I learned during the WLS period. The last thing I want to do is get into that viscous cycle of fad diets that obviously never worked to begin with.

So count me in!! Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Arlene E.
on 6/17/11 9:05 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Laureen

This is such a great idea.  Many, many of us struggle with this on a daily basis.  To me there is nothing scarier than the idea of having to keep changing clothing size again.  Because I always avoided getting weighed, my sizes always signaled to me how fat I was getting.  I've gained about 10 lbs from my lowest weight.  I cannot gain any more!  

To combat this, as many of you know I do work out daily.  I recently decided to join another gym and change some of my exercises.  This is one area that I know I will not give up on.  The exercise has helped me feel so much stronger, physically and emotionally and given my more confidence.

My hourly struggles revolve around food choices and many of the ones I make are not wise. My body responds to this by making me feel so lethargic.  I feel like I am playing games with myself that are so destructive.   

There are so many emotional things going on with me and the only way I, and most of us know how to deal is with food.   I assume the emotional stuff is what keeps me up most of the night but it is so hard to pinpoint exactly what the "stuff" is.  Or it could be fear of truly feeling and admitting what it so painful.

So once again, thanks Laureen for putting it out here, and thank you friends for sharing your own thoughts and feelings.

Even though we've changed and we're all finding our own place in the world, we all know that when the tears fall or the smile spreads across our face, we'll come to each other because no matter where this crazy world takes us, nothing will ever change so much to the point where we're not all still friends.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views