Snap or Curves

sandy L.
on 6/11/11 1:24 pm - Altoona, PA
 So I"m at the point I want to start toning up.  I have a chance to join either Snap Fittness or Curves.  I won't have a work out buddy.  Which one does everyone like better and why.  

I went to Curves yesterday and the woman behind the counter was rude.  I can always go to another location of Curves.  I've never set foot into a Snap Fittness before.  

Thanks for your help.
Sandy

R K.
on 6/11/11 7:16 pm
I haven't seen a curves in a number of years but their machine selection and level of resistance wasn't the best in the past. Curves limits when you can work out. Most Snap's I thought were open 24/7.
Almost all will offer a free trial so use that at the times you will normally go.
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
sandy L.
on 6/12/11 1:04 pm - Altoona, PA
Roger, I'll call Snap tomorrow and see what all they have.  Thank you

lynnc99
on 6/11/11 9:00 pm
Curves never had hours that worked for me.

If you go with snap, just be sure they have staff who will help you learn to use the ma hines and set up a routine. See if they have certified trainers on staff.
sandy L.
on 6/12/11 1:05 pm - Altoona, PA
 I'm gonna call Snap tomorrow and see if trainers are included in a "new" membership and if not how much.  Thanks

lynnc99
on 6/12/11 10:33 pm
Good move. And if you don't opt for personal training, be sure they offer qualified instruction and help you put together a program.
IdaMae D.
on 6/11/11 9:11 pm - Philadelphia, PA
I've been a member of curves since before my surgery when I decided that I was going to have surgery.  It is a nice 1/2 hour work out, I prefer that.  I also prefer that curves was not full of jocks which would have made me extremely uncomfortable at the beginning of this jourrney.  It is also a place where the instructors worked with me to help me learn how to use the machinery. 

However, now that I'm almost 2 years out from my surgery, I'm finding that Curves is very difficult to manuver.  Their hours are difficult to work into my changing schedule.  When I can go they have the place congested with a class which interfers with my ability to navigate the machinery.  The machinery is set a certain way which is no longer challenging to me or my body.  Curves is a great starting point for an entry into exercise.  I now need to find a new gym that is more challenging for me and where I am at this point and going forward.

Ida

IdaMae

sandy L.
on 6/12/11 1:09 pm - Altoona, PA
 Ida,  I understand about the whole jock thing.  That's what make me think of Curves in the first place.  I have a treadmill at home but I'm needing to work more the arms and thigh areas to tone.  I was wondering about the weight issue.  I keep thinking if I don't or can't change a weight on a machine then am I really getting a work out?  I keep asking myself this.

I'm gonna call Snap tomorrow and see what they have to offer.  I know there's a special going on right now but I'm not clear on what it is.  Thank you.

IdaMae D.
on 6/13/11 6:55 am - Philadelphia, PA
curves does not have weights.  They use bands that react against your own body weight, momentum etc.  People at work tell me all the time how toned I am.  I personally do not see it, we never see ourselves as other do.  If only I could see me through the eyes of my hubby and co-workers - sigh.....

IdaMae

R K.
on 6/12/11 6:47 pm
Is this near you. They are beginner friendly.

http://www.planetfitness.com/ClubOffers.aspx?clubid=10549
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views