Love/Hate

sandy L.
on 6/4/11 12:23 pm - Altoona, PA
 I'm having a love/hate relationship with chicken.  I love chicken, I can cook the chicken, then I take one bite and that's all she wrote.  How many times should I try the chicken before I give up and add it to the list of "can't eat" foods.  Anyone else have this problem?

Decolady
on 6/4/11 1:23 pm - Bethlehem Twp., PA
Hi Sandy,
Chicken is a problem for a lot of us WLS patients.  It was tricky for me in the first few months, it has gotten better now that I am over 9 months out.  But it has to be VERY moist and I have to CHEW CHEW CHEW.  That is the hard part for me, I used to inhale my food before surgery!  And I know that one wrong bite ends the whole meal pretty fast.  Try teeny, tiny bites of moist chicken with some kind of sauce.  Chew it until it is liquid before swallowing.  See if that helps.
Good luck!

Deb
Laureen S.
on 6/4/11 1:34 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Chicken is a very dense meat for our new pouches, as Deb said moist it the key and taking a very small piece and chewing well, try mentally counting to 25 chews with each piece. If you exhaust all those methods and still have issues, then perhaps you need to put it on the back burner for now. . . another thing you can try is dark meat chicken as it is naturally more moist, yes it is a fattier version, but truth is you will not be eating so much at this point that you can't have a moderate amount of it.

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

sandy L.
on 6/4/11 1:58 pm - Altoona, PA
 Thank you Ladies.  I'll try a bit of dark meat.  I've been putting chicken broth or salsa over the chicken.  I'm also having the same issues with pork.  9 months can't come fast enough for me so I'll try it again then.  

IdaMae D.
on 6/4/11 9:36 pm - Philadelphia, PA
I have had problems with meat from the get go.  Some days are good most are bad.  I have found that ground chicken and turkey are less rough on me and my system than whole meats so I stick to having all my meat ground at the store. 

IdaMae

sandy L.
on 6/5/11 11:23 am - Altoona, PA
 Gene and Ida,  Great idea,  I never even thought of that.  I'll check with the grocery store tomorrow.
 Appericate the idea and help

Sandy

LisaAC
on 6/5/11 10:44 pm - Philadelphia, PA
I found that in the early months after surgery, what I was able to eat changed frequently.  Chicken was one of those things - I could eat it for awhile, then I couldn't get it down, so left it alone for awhile.  Eventually, I could eat it again.  Dark meat will probably be easier to eat than white, for now at least.

Lisa
sandy L.
on 6/6/11 11:06 am - Altoona, PA
 thanks Lisa. appreciate the help.

ladyquenn
on 6/7/11 2:49 am - WV
I had many problems with chicken too until I tarted cooking it with a meat thermometer. It turns out that I have over cooked chicken my entire life as well as many other foods like fish and such. A soon as I started that it has stayed moist and I can eat it almost every time.
Teddi J
We have just enough religion to make us hate,
but not enough to make us love one another. ~Jonathan Swift                    
sandy L.
on 6/11/11 1:17 pm - Altoona, PA
 I'll have to try using a thermometer.  I cook almost everything on the George Foreman grill.  sometimes it does get try.  thanks for the help

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views