OT - My experience at Overnight camp

alittle110
on 6/3/11 12:56 pm - Bucks County, PA
I went to Golden Slipper :o) Love the fun poem and can definitely relate!

Kristine

steffihope
on 6/5/11 8:08 am - Philadelphia, PA
OMG OMG OMG!!!!  That was the ten special summers I was talking about! five years as a camper from 78-82 and five years as a staff member from 85-89.  I was even Strauss Village Leader in 88 and 89.  I was also a lifeguard with Scott Aguirre.  When were you there?
alittle110
on 6/5/11 11:32 am - Bucks County, PA
I think it was '79 when I was 7. I also went when I was 8 but had to come home due to chicken pox! I don't really remember much about it. I got a feather as some kind of award. I remember the camp fire and peanut chews. I also remember a dance and some of the activities like archery and canoing :o)

steffihope
on 6/5/11 12:30 pm - Philadelphia, PA
I thought you were way younger than me - are you 39?  I was 42 in April - hey - you are my sister's age - Laurie Polin.  Depending on the encampment you went it might have been with her - anyway- The feather award was for the camper who showed the most positive behavior and was given out twice an encampment.  The peanut chews were a staple well into the 90's until the Goldenberg company sold them.  Yes - I do know THAT much about camp.  The dance at the time was with Purple Haze - the DJ - that activity was one of the highlights every single summer.  And archery was eventually moved from the archery area near the infimary to down by the CR - which was originaly for the counselors - and then changed when we got a new stupid director.  Canoing and boating and fishing was and is - still a major part of camp and now they have a new dock, and bumper boats.  I could go on and on.

Like I said in the poem - Camp really shaped me as a person!  It is a huge part of who I am and why I am a teacher!
Maura M.
on 6/3/11 1:09 pm - Yardley, PA
well done!
Maura

gmom62
on 6/3/11 9:46 pm - Clifton Heights, PA
Nice job Steffi!  Toot away!!

Love ya,
Cyd

enasangels
on 6/4/11 9:06 pm - PA
Very nice Steffi, hopefully it will encourage some kids to want to go, and parents wanting to send them.  I went to camp Innaba a few times, and another time it was a summer camp run  by a high school teacher that my parents sent my brother and I to.  I did not want to go because my brother Butch was going also.  Now I am glad I did, my brother is gone, but I have some really good memories of that special time I got to spend with him,
Hugs, Ena

"Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."

steffihope
on 6/5/11 8:09 am - Philadelphia, PA
It is amazing - my kids all get along when they are at camp - it is because they don't live together.  It is such a gift to be able to give this to our children!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views