OT - My experience at Overnight camp

steffihope
on 6/3/11 2:45 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi all - I know that this is a crazy place - but I just wrote something that I am saying at the synagogue tonight about how growing up at a Jewish Overnight camp help make me the Jewish Adult I am today.  I decided that since I was going to be speaking to parents AND their children - and really - I do way better with children - I would write a poem - because - when you listen - it is way more fun to hear things in rhyme!  I just wanted to put this here to see what you guys think.  (And to toot my own horn a little - ALA Swede......)

For ten special summers, I got to be away.
Spent time in the Pocono Mountains, my favorite place to play.

As a kid in public school, being Jewish was no big deal.
Except for a few holidays and a special Passover meal.

Camp was a different story, it was there I could celebrate
Being Jewish WAS important, I found out that I did rate.

We lived amongst our friends, hardly a grown up ever in sight.
We played and laughed and sang all day til it was time to turn off the light.

I think back to my days at overnight camp, the feeling I get is pure joy.
This gift my mom and dad gave me, was more important than any toy.

I truly believe camp shaped me into the grown up I am today.
My humor, my craziness, my confidence, I am blessed my parents did pay.

Do not try to explain camp to an adult who’s never been.
It’s a feeling deep inside, using words, you will never win.

Giving camp to our children, the place will become their house.
And really, you never know, this summer’s “friend" might someday become their “spouse."

Is this fun?  (You all know I am all about fun......)

(PS - this has really helped put me in a good place today.  wasn't really feeling it earlier!)  I guess if I could live at camp - this mood swing wouldn't be as bad! :)
bvohl
on 6/3/11 3:07 am
Couldn't have said it any better!!
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Cherish F.
on 6/3/11 5:25 am - Philadelphia, PA
Awesome!
I'm jealous, I never got to go "away" to any camp.
 Cherish
Consult Weight/ Surgery Weight/Current Weight/  Goal Weight, Reached 4/7/11!!
     294                     286.5                     165.5                     164

Full abdominoplasty & Breast Reduction/Lift - 4/9/12!

Even miracles take a little time. ~ Cinderella

lynnc99
on 6/3/11 6:45 am
Love it! Love it! Love it!
swedeville1
on 6/3/11 7:29 am - Mount Pleasant, PA
Nice job lady!  Toot Toot!!!!

HW=400  SW=383  CW=252  GW=240
Pounds to go=12!!!  Pounds Lost =148

Arlene E.
on 6/3/11 8:23 am - Philadelphia, PA

Steff

As a fellow rhyme writer for everything, I love it!

Arlene 

R K.
on 6/3/11 10:35 am
Camp Harlam near Jonas?
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
steffihope
on 6/5/11 8:07 am - Philadelphia, PA
The camp I was referring to is Golden Slipper - in Bartonsville.  My current camp is in Kunkletown.  I have no idea where Jonas is.  Is it close?
R K.
on 6/5/11 8:58 am
On June 5, 2011 at 3:07 PM Pacific Time, steffihope wrote:
The camp I was referring to is Golden Slipper - in Bartonsville.  My current camp is in Kunkletown.  I have no idea where Jonas is.  Is it close?
Your current camp, if it;s camp Harlam is closer to Jonas although it has a Kunkletown mailing address.
I have a Saylorsburg address but live in McMichaels.

Golden Slipper and Camp Harlam look really nice.
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
steffihope
on 6/5/11 10:50 am - Philadelphia, PA
They are both amazing places!  As I have stated - Golden Slipper is where I grew up going to camp for ten amazing summers and it is because of camp that I met my husband of 19 years.  His sister and I were counselors together.

My husband and I chose to send our children to Camp Harlam for various reasons - the main one being that living in Philadelphia, our children go to public schools and do not have very many Jewish connections.  We wanted a camp that was integrated with our synagogue.  This summer is my son's 8th year with Camp Harlam and these kids are traveling to Israel for 6 weeks together. My daughter Molly has been a few times and has had some issues based on her disability and seems to want to go back ever other year.  This is an off year for her and will be spending the first month of summer vacation at a camp down the shore with my in-laws - God help them both!  HA HA!  My youngest will be going to Harlam for the second summer as a full camper for the first month of summer.  She has been integrated into the camp life since she was 3 years old as my husband has worked as a camp nurse for 6 previous summers for two week stints.  I get to go as a freeloader with the exception of last summer where I actually worked for the first month.  I am hopeful that I will get to work there again starting next summer.

I will make it a point to get to see you some time when I am up in the mountains this summer.  I will be up there the middle two weeks in July!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views