Cheap protein ideas? Oh - and Hi!

LisaAC
on 6/1/11 5:56 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Old Friends and New,

I haven't posted in a long while and don't know how often I'll post now.  I'll aim for frequently, but it's hard to commit.

I'm still fighting Chronic Lyme Disease, along with depression and weight gain.  Life is...challenging.

I started gaining for no particular reason as I got sick, gained more when the pain became bad enough and frequent enough to interfere with my exercise, and gained more still when I started to replace all the fun and exercise with tv and food.  Sometimes, I'm so sick or hurt so much that I just can't do anything and I don't get enough pain meds, so I watch tv just to tune it out.  If I can focus on a book or puzzle, I'll do that instead.  Sometimes I don't even look at email for a couple days at a time.

It feels like life is just slipping by and I can't do anything about it.  I try.  Right now, I'm feeling pretty good.  I was out of pain meds for some days and just got them yesterday afternoon.  First night in nearly a week I slept more than an hour here an hour there.  I did stretches today and will take a walk when the sun goes down.

I tried working in late fall and again some weeks ago, but couldn't do it.  Pain, no energy, brain not thinking fast enough. 

I'm not whining; this is just the reality of my life at this time and I don't seem to have the strength or money to change it.  I've become so boring that I don't want to be around people!

Money is very tight.  We had to stop treating my Lyme and now just medicate the pain due to finances.  We also are eating too many starches and not enough protein for the same reason...$3 worth of rice goes further than $3 work of meat!  Last month, I invested in doing the five day pouch test, did it perfectly, and didn't lose an ounce, which was scary and disheartening.

I'm looking for ways of getting in the protein I must on a small budget.  I'll be grateful for any suggestions, recipes, etc.

Thanks much!

Lisa

bvohl
on 6/1/11 9:23 am
Lisa,

So sorry to hear that you are struggling!! It sucks when illness and finances prevent you from doing what you need to do!!

Have you ever seen the recipe for the cheeseburger pie? It is quite simple and inexpensive, plus it last a couple of days. Let me know if you want the recipe....

Walmart has a good selection of Atkins bars and shakes! Also, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the string cheese from Aldi. It is the Fit and active brand and is about 3 bucks for 12 sticks. Good on all the numbers!! You can also get a  lot of the vitamins that we need at Walmart. I just found the sublingual b12 there, there is calcium, b1, multivitamins and such.

Hope this helps!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

LisaAC
on 6/1/11 9:39 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks very much, Beth.  I already talked to my husband last night about budgeting for some bars and shakes from Walmart.  I'll check out that cheese too.  Of course, I'll have to hide it all or he'll eat it before I have a chance to get to it...

And yes, please let me have that recipe!

Lisa

bvohl
on 6/1/11 11:49 pm
Lisa,

Here is the recipe....

1lb of lean ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup of green peppers
1/2 cup of chopped onions
1/2 cup SF bbq sauce (walden farms)
taco seasoning to taste
garlic powder to taste
1/3 cup of spicy mustard (I don't measure this I just guess)
6 or 7 wheat ritz crackers crushed

Topping
2 cups shredded cheese ( any  type you like)
1/4 cup of egg substitute
1/4 cup of milk
a couple of shakes of taco seasoning
a couple of squeezes of spicy mustard

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown meat and drain if necessary. Then add onions and peppers. Cook for several minutes. Then add spices, bbq sauce, mustard and mix well. Then add crackers. Put in round deep dish (like a pie plate) then add topping.

Topping directions
Add together all ingredients and mix well. Then top on meat mixture. Bake in oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is brown. Let stand for about 10 minutes and enjoy!!

One of my FAVORITE recipes!!!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

LisaAC
on 6/2/11 4:43 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks, Beth.  Sounds yummy!

Lisa

dit657
on 6/1/11 9:53 am - Boothwyn, PA
Hi Lisa - so sorry to hear you're struggling so much with the Lyme disease. I can't imagine being in constant pain like that. I know how whiny I get when I have one ache or pain!

I buy the big cans of tuna and chicken when they're on sale to make salad with - walmart usually them pretty reasonable. Of course eggs are a great source of protien if you can tolerate them.

Wish you all the best. Hope things start turning around for you soon. Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
LisaAC
on 6/1/11 10:24 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for the kind words and the good ideas, Kathy!

Lisa

Sara E.
on 6/1/11 10:58 am - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
Dear Lisa,
I have constant pain 24/7 due to fibromyalgia.  It is hard not to let the pain get you depressed.  I try to get my mind off it by staying busy.  When I don't have the energy for that  I talk with friends or nap...otherwise I feel I will resort back to my old comfort of food.  Good luck and come here often, because this is the best support network.  My OH friends are there to cheer me on or scold me...whatever I need, they are there for me.  I buy special K Protein meal bars at Sam's club to supplement,  They are yummy.
Take care!
Sara

LisaAC
on 6/2/11 4:44 am - Philadelphia, PA
Sara, do I have to buy a membership and/or buy in bulk to use Sam's Club?
Liz R.
on 6/1/11 8:35 pm - Easton, PA
Hey there! Cheapest proteins are beans, eggs, canned tuna, chicken will go on sale for 69 cents a pound frequently.

hope you are feeling better!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views