Five Years - Really!?!?

Boogaloo
on 5/15/11 2:28 pm - PA
So, here I am - five years post-op and I wish I had something profound to say but... 

I met with my surgeon on Friday and he said that my bloodwork was as good as it could be and that he couldn't be happier with my results - he said I am whole new person - and it's true!

For those of you who don't know me, my story goes a little like this...Since my surgery, I have lost 117 lbs (and 133 since I began the process).  I lost over 100 inches and now teach Zumba, Spinning, Pilates and Aerobics.  I have completed my graduate degree and kayaked the ocean in Hawaii.  I back-pack, hike, bike and spent two weeks in Italy over the Christmas holidays and didn't gain a pound!!!!!

So, here's the secret - THERE IS NO SECRET.  I do what my doctor told me... protein, protein, protein, water, water, water, AND exercise.  The changes I made after my surgery are now my lifestyle.  I recognize the surgery as the tool that it is and I don't take my weight loss for granted.  There is an old expression, "if you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got"  and that's the truth.  If I return to my old way of living, relying on food for comfort, or entertainment, sittin on the couch watching television, etc.. I will not be happy with the results.

So on Friday at my 5 Year Post Surgery appointment, my doctor put down my chart, sat down and asked me to reflect on the changes in my life since the surgery and I rattled off the list above, but what I didn't tell him was this:

- I no longer cry in the dressing room of departments stores, filled with self loathing and shame, when I try on clothes
- I no longer walk into a room and worry if people are negatively judging me because of my obesity
- I don't avoid parties and other events because I am ashamed of my size
- I don't try and overcompensate for my weight by trying to get everyone to love me

I am writing today because I can't help but be reflective on this anniversary and because this site meant so much to me while getting through that first year.  I can only hope that this note can be of some motivation/inspiration to someone who is new or struggling in their journey.  Where ever you are in this journey, know that you are so beautiful, that you have done something wonderful for yourself and that this site is just filled with wise, knowlegeable, and wonderful people who understand what you are going through and support you unconditionally. 

And finally, I write today to again thank all of you who helped me along this journey with your support, grace and generosity. I remain humbled by this site and its members.

Good luck in all you do,
Love & Happiness,
Lou
(deactivated member)
on 5/15/11 5:09 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
(((HUGS)))

You are my shero!!
Boogaloo
on 5/15/11 8:49 pm - PA
Thanks! and you are mine :)
Good luck on your journey!!!!
Lou
lynnc99
on 5/15/11 9:31 pm
Lou, thank you SO much for taking time to share with us here. I am 22 months out and continue to learn much from those who are ahead of me on this journey - but it isn't alll that common to hear from those 5 + years out!
Boogaloo
on 5/15/11 10:03 pm - PA
That's exactly the reason I wanted to post... I remember wondering what happens long-term and I promised myself that I would continue to post, even if I did so only on my surgiversary, to encourage those who were early in their journey.  Good luck to you and I look forward to reading about all of your accomplishments on your 5 year anniversary!
Lou 
swedeville1
on 5/16/11 4:01 am - Mount Pleasant, PA
Lou, thanks for posting this, it is very inspirational, especially to those of us who are newbies in this weight loss world.  Congratulations on maintaining your weight loss and new life style.  You have immersed yourself in a whole new active world and I have to think that that helps you stay active and fit.  I am trying to do the same thing with some activities I have returned to since my weight loss.  As I read your post it came to me that being overweight/obese is like being in a prison cell.  When we lose the weight we gain our freedom and we have to remember that it is a tenuous release.  We will always be tempted by those negative friends (food) and if we fall back into that life style we will eventually return to the jail cell that we were released from.  We have to change the people, places and things that helped corrupt us in the first place.  Its like living on parole.  Work hard or get your parole revoked.  No matter how far removed we are from our jail cell, it is always there waiting for us with open arms and that is more than a little scary.  Like I said, thanks for motivating me and if you find the time I'm sure your input and guidance will be more than welcome on here.  We need people like you on here Lou.  Hope to hear from you again.

Swede

HW=400  SW=383  CW=252  GW=240
Pounds to go=12!!!  Pounds Lost =148

Boogaloo
on 5/16/11 6:27 am - PA
Hi Swede,
What a perfect analogy!!!! It is so true and so scary. 
I will do my best to get on more often.  Good luck to you on your journey!
Lou
sandy L.
on 5/16/11 1:21 pm - Altoona, PA
 Lou,  Congrats on all you've accomplished in 5 years.  It's truely amazing.

Boogaloo
on 5/17/11 7:51 am - PA
Thanks, good luck on your journey!!!!!!
Lou
Dennis Belk
on 5/16/11 10:14 pm, edited 5/17/11 10:56 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hey Lou,
So glad to see you post!
CONGRATULATIONS on your surgiversary!
You remain inspirational.
Keep successing Lou.

All the best,