which is better

sandy L.
on 4/29/11 1:58 pm - Altoona, PA
 On Monday I will have my 2 month check up.  I'll also be starting to take Calcium with Vitamin D.  Are the chewable ones any good.  I've seen them in WalMart and the grocery stores.  I'm rethinking crushing the pills.  Thanks for your help.  

Sandy

Pam Hart
on 4/29/11 5:20 pm - Easton, PA

You need to take calcium citrate, not carbonate, I believe.  As long as the chewables are the right kind, that's fine.

Is there a reason you were considering crushing them to begin with?  At two mos out, unless your surgeon says otherwise, you should be able to swallow pills.  If they are obnoxiously big (sometimes calcium ones are) you can simply break them in half to start with.

Also, keep an eye out.  Some people (myself included) have significant constipation issues with calcium.  I know, weird.  But anyway, if you notice you start to have problems, start taking a stool softener asap.  From someone who knows first hand, you do NOT want to let that get to far ahead of you.  Not a fun time!  My surgeon allows me to take colace.

P

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
Lisa H.
on 4/29/11 9:06 pm - Whitehall, PA
It is citrate, not carbonate.. and they are hard to find in chewable or smaller sizes, unless you go online to Bariatric Advantage.  

Pam, you get constipated from Calcium?  weird.. I get it from iron.  I do take Colace every day and don't have issues...

My tracker

hers 

sandy L.
on 4/30/11 12:04 am - Altoona, PA
 Thanks Ladies,  I was looking at the plain Calcium and the pills are big.  I'll look for the correct ones today.  I still have Miralax (the Walgreen brand) on hand, I'l glad I got the big bottle now.  

Sandy

Jennifer M.
on 4/30/11 12:29 am
Hey Sandy...dont know if you have a compounding pharmacy in your area...we have apothacary shoppe here...but they can actually make what is called Trochee - it is a pill they make and it dissolves in your cheek.  They can make it in any flavor you can dream up. And insurance alot of times covers it! Check it out.

ladyquenn
on 4/30/11 1:41 am - WV
Ive been swallowing pills since the beginning but didnt switch my vitamins till the first batch of chewables ran out. The celebrate calcium is great. The pills are small and I swallow 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening.
Teddi J
We have just enough religion to make us hate,
but not enough to make us love one another. ~Jonathan Swift                    
Cheryl.P
on 4/30/11 3:15 am - Philadelphia, PA
this week i talked to my nutritionist(the one i used before surgery) when we talked about vitamins, she said she personally feel liquid, are preferable. she said there is no evidence , but she believes the more a vitamin is broken down before swallowing the better. she said chew ables ARe OK but would recommend liquid.
Cherish F.
on 5/2/11 1:55 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi jack! Love the new pic!!!!
 Cherish
Consult Weight/ Surgery Weight/Current Weight/  Goal Weight, Reached 4/7/11!!
     294                     286.5                     165.5                     164

Full abdominoplasty & Breast Reduction/Lift - 4/9/12!

Even miracles take a little time. ~ Cinderella

sandy L.
on 4/30/11 9:54 am - Altoona, PA
Cheryl..... I haven't seen any liquid Calcium, guess I'd better look again.  Jennifer.....Something that would melt in the cheek would be nice.  I don't know if we have anything around here.  I'll have to ask around and any flavor would be nice.  I've found since crushing pills they have a horriable taste that just lingers in my mouth.  Lisa....I checked out Bariatric Advantage.  I've never been on there before.  Lots of things to look at.   Thanks again Ladies

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/11 11:39 pm
I just recently started taking the calcet chewy in chocolate and I love them.  It gives me that chocolate taste that I miss so much and it also gives me the calcium that I need.  They are a bit expensive but it's the only way I can get my calcium in everyday.  https://www.celebratevitamins.com/shop/calcium/creamy-bites. html
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views