Thank You Arlene Elfman

Dennis Belk
on 4/21/11 12:13 am - Philadelphia, PA
At last night's Barix meeting I spoke to my 6 years of involvement and mentioned not seeing anyone there from my first few years of support. There are all kinds of reasons for this. Some we know but many we don't. Sometimes an illness, (like Shauna's), or a major change in location, (like Dave Allen and Liz Bergman) or burnout like (our Tom Tyler) or folks who are just doing well and are busy like our (Robert Whiteman). However there are peeps out there that we may not see because they aren't doing well but are still in the area. I hope it's not embarassment because they have perhaps tripped during their journey. I hope they know they can always come back to the Barix support groups to find what they need. I hope they know that we are a caring group and are always there for gentle support that will help them "re-gain" the life they want.

Arlene Elfman has voiced this sentiment time and time again. In her busy life she has been there throughout. We all can't make every meeting, we do have lives to live, but Arlene is one of the few from my previous years that "is still around". I can't clearly recall but I believe I first met Arlene during the end of my 2nd year. She had her RNY with Dr Marymor in March of 2007. She was one of many  who participated in support groups as a pre-op. She was there last night looking great and is one of the older patients (surgery-wise) from my circle. There are many others after that like (Laureen Scimeca and Mike Mataracky). And then there's a huge wave of peeps from more recent years, but no one from my year one and just Arlene from the end of my year two.

Where are they? I trust they are around and I hope they are doing well, but whether they are or they're not, I still would like to see them... from time to time because I miss them.

Thank you Arlene for hanging around.

Love,

Den
(deactivated member)
on 4/21/11 1:14 am
Den, What a beautiful post to Arlene...She is truly an amazing person and become a very good supportive friend to both of us.

Love you Arlene! 
Arlene E.
on 4/21/11 3:58 am - Philadelphia, PA

Beth,

I think the world of you!  Your willingness to share your thoughts, your home, and Dennis

( to an extent, LOL) mean so much to me.  I love how you have reached out to include so many in your "family" and I can say that from you I have learned that family can be what we choose it to be.

Love you too, Beth! 

Arlene E.
on 4/21/11 3:54 am - Philadelphia, PA

Dennis

This is so touching.  As I come to the meetings and look around there are so many out there that I really miss and hope that they know they are always welcome to come back.  Our journey is filled with highs and lows and in my mind our WLS family are truly the only ones who understand all the struggles that we go through.   

And Dennis, it's ok, not only am I one of the older patients surgery wise, but also real age. Age has given me the wisdom to know that I cannot go this path alone.   Yes, there are other things that have come up time and again on Wed nights but other than a real emergency (or vacation) Barix is my #1 priority.  I also look forward to getting back to Saturdays which I thought would be in May, but it turns out there are 2 more zoo classes I must attend. 

I was happy to share in your 6 years, Dennis, but felt sad that so many others have dropped out.   To the new people who are showing up, I wish you all great success.   I strongly believe that to have continued success you need to stay connected.

Love you Dennis!

Arlene 

justmepeggyb
on 4/21/11 4:26 am - Philadelphia, PA

Wow ~ thi**** home - and hard.  I miss you all very, very much - I honestly do.  I wish I was there for you last night Dennis.  We shared our first Barix meeting together ~ and ever since you have always been there for me.  Lord knows I need a meeting ~ I need to see all of my old friends ~ I need to be with my people who have walked this road before me.  I will be 6 years in July ~ and when it should be so easy for me now ~ I still find my self stumbling.  And then of course it is the same old bad cycle ~ over and over and over again.  I'm sad that I've gone from someone who used to inspire to someone who needs desperatly to be inspired. 

Peggy

Dennis Belk
on 4/21/11 5:08 am - Philadelphia, PA
We all hear you Peggy!
The older ones and the younger ones too.
And that's the point.
You are always welcome.
You did a lot as a patient and as a support group leader.
You know where we are and when.
Hope to see you soon either at Barix or... elsewhere. LOL!

Love you,

Den
Happy to be in
Onederland

on 4/21/11 5:12 am
Hey you guys, I'm here.  5 years out and maintaining within a few pounds. Enjoying my facelift and started dating.  I'm enjoying the life I never had before.  Hope no one forgets who I am and where I was.  It was a long battle and I've emerged a stronger person for it.  Hope to be back to a meeting sometime.

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

Dennis Belk
on 4/21/11 5:17 am - Philadelphia, PA
Great Nan!
We've missed you and look forward to seeing you again.
All the best with the new life!

Den
KimManning
on 4/21/11 7:17 am - PA

Last night was my second night at a support meeting.  I am in the process of being approved for surgery (waiting on insurance).  Coming to the meetings, I must say, is very helpful, to understand that I am not alone.  I am looking forward to attending many more. 

Kim

Dennis Belk
on 4/21/11 9:35 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks for coming Kim, and Sandi too.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1863 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1960 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2644 views