Terrific Tuesday Roll Call

Pam Hart
on 4/18/11 10:24 pm - Easton, PA
Esophageal strictures can happen to anyone - in fact - Regis Phillbin just had one stretched.  We actually do the procedure on an emergency basis in the er - normally the culprit in that scenario is a piece of meat.  My dad had one, too.  And it can be related to reflux, btw.

The drinking, smoking ulcer thing is certainly not a good combination....but those who live in glass houses.....for all the times I was told what I "should" be doing to be in a healthy weight range.....
Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
dit657
on 4/18/11 10:34 pm - Boothwyn, PA
My younger sister has had hers stretched several times - the girl choked on everything. Didn't realize that's what it was called. My nephew just called - they're on their way back to the ER. He's in a lot of pain - hopefully it's nothing more than that and can be taken care of today.

yeah, I know - I was the same - and god knows I still don't eat as good as I should or do all the things I should, but I do worry about him with the type of diabetes he has because it came on him so suddenly last year - his levels were so high the doctor who did his initial bloodwork said he had never seen levels that high. It is under control with insulin and other meds, but I wish he would cut back on the drinking and smoking.

Thanks Nurse Pam!!!  I'm so happy you're back on the boards, and not just for your wonderful medical advice - I missed reading your posts.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
victoria3
on 4/19/11 12:33 am - Douglassville, PA

PA Lurker here...

Pam- I was thinking Diabetic Gastroparesis....could be a possibility???

dit657
on 4/19/11 12:43 am - Boothwyn, PA
Thanks for posting this - I googled it and it does match a lot of the symptoms he's been having. What worries us most is that he's lost 12 lbs over the last few days because he can't take his insulin unless he eats, and he hasn't felt good enough to eat, so his levels are going to be all messed up. He's at the ER now (I think) - I'm trying to reach his girlfriend to see what's going on.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
victoria3
on 4/19/11 1:02 am - Douglassville, PA
Kathy- I'm not a nurse like Pam, but I am a Medical Records Coder and I see this all the time.  Hope they find what the problem is and can help you nephew find some relief.
Pam Hart
on 4/19/11 5:10 pm - Easton, PA

Definitely a possibility....so is ulcer...so is obstruction....

I hate GI...to many twists and turns lol!

Instead of complaining that the rosebush has thorns, be happy that the thorn bush has roses.
steffihope
on 4/18/11 10:02 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Good morning Ida - I have not yet said how awesome it was to run into you at the market the other day - and PS - I totally did know it was you = just saying! :)

Last nights seder was fun.  It was just 10 of us, Larry AND the kids were all in a good mood - not sure why - but I will take it!  Emily was a riot - had my aunt, uncle and cousins laughing most of the night.  she is so my kid - only happy if we are making others laugh.  i did NOT drink, I handled my family and the money situation well.  Larry and I talked, amazing how things get accomplished when one is not feeling attacked and throwing things back to the other person.....yeah I know - 18 + years of marriage - always a new thing to get through!  About 90% sure that Israel is out of the picture for this summer, talking about Disney either driving, or a cruise - will look more into that today and later this week.We mentioned it toMolly, she said as long as we do something family and away this summer, she will be fine with it.  (really??!!  Who would NOT be OK with Disney?)  We wrote that big check and realized that the money was sitting in OUR account earning US interest, NOT the government, therefore we really did just fine.  Next year wont be as bad for several reasons, one being that Larry wont be getting another lump sum from the city for their screw ups, so that wont be taxed, and therefore might put us back into a normal tax bracket.  Such is life.  Thankfully we had the money - and it did not wipe us out and we still have a nice forced savings that we live with monthly.  Have to call the financial planner and get him here and make a few adjustments.

So for today, Larry's alarm woke me at 7, he of course went back to sleep - and here I am an hour later, wide awake playing on the computer and ignoring my arms length list of things to do!  I have a dentist appointment later this morning, have to get to the market, make a yummy apple and cinnamon concoction called Charoset for tonight's seder and then hopefully a nap.  Molly is STARTING to feel better, her ear is oozing - GROSS - but that means that the fluid is clearing up with the infection and she is starting to heal.  She was supposed to head down the shore with my in-laws tonight, but I am thinking that she needs to be home with us.  So - we shall see what the day holds for her.  She also needs to work in her room and has a math project she needs to work on with Larry.  Josh and Emily are around and have plenty to do to keep them occupied.

Wow - didn't mean to ramble like that - I guess that is what happens when there is no bread in the house and I don't have anywhere I really need to be!

Have a GREAT Tuesday all! :)
Pam Hart
on 4/18/11 10:22 pm - Easton, PA
Morning...night...whatever it is!

Spent 12 hours at the desk in triage last night, and will be doing the exact same thing tonight.  There are only x amount of people who are "cleared" for that role - me being one - and we have a bunch of people out so we're doing at least one, if not two, shifts a week.  It's actually more challenging me to sit still than it is to be in "the back" so two nights in a row is not fun.

Good thing, though, is that I have the time to look into exercise routines and home stuff.  Swede has convinced me to look into P90x...I'm still really intimidated, but the results.....

Going to bed very shortly - day off tomorrow - but it will a busy and long one so I want to get a good amount of sleep today.  It's early for me, but goodness knows I need it!
jastypes
on 4/18/11 10:45 pm - Croydon, PA
Good morning PA friends, and Happy Passover.

Celebrating 43 days of abstinence (no sugar/fast food/snack food).  I decided to tweak my eating plan a bit, though, because I still felt I might be eating too much of the good stuff!  Pulled out my Barix Bible, blew the dust off, and devised an eating plan based on the 1000 calorie plan. 

OA tonight.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

spazzdak
on 4/18/11 11:32 pm
 Freakin' raining a-freakin-gain!!!! UGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Can't take being in a down mood when the weather isn't cooperating. DH hasn't spoken to me since Friday. With Easter coming, this is loads of fun. My oldest also turns 16 on Easter Sunday. We're having a party at Bob Evans on Friday night for her with both sides of the family invited. It's gonna be a real "Hatfields and McCoys" type situation. If anyone wants to see some immense tension, be there at 6:30.

I'm a stress eater and can't seem to stop myself before I realize what I'm doing. I try very hard to get the proteins in and the waters been a bit difficult, but, I get close. But the carbs are where the crunch is and I am so stressed out that I want to crunch all day long! oyster crackers, graham crackers, popcorn, pretzels, corn chips...OMG!!!! I'm going to end up back where I started and I'm so scared!

In 2 weeks I run my first race, but, I've decided I cannot run in the rain when it's cold. I'm not *that* dedicated. I did it last week and I was so cold that when I got in the hot shower, the water was freezing by the time it ran down to my knees. I haven't been that cold since I was a kid and, you know, I'm not a fan.
"Life is too short to buy cheap fabric softener."  ~ favorite quote by my favorite genious!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views