Hoping to have surgery-questions

ete77
on 4/10/11 12:39 am - Pittsburgh, PA
OK, I am just beginning my WLS journey and I am nervous while waiting to hear from the surgeon.  (I have faxed in my paperwork to Anita Courcoulas at Magee, UPMC)  Here are my thoughts/fears
1. My BMI is 54 and she'll say thats too high to do lap-band
2. She won't do the surgery because I am on a low dose (20mg) of antidepressant
3.  There will be some other reason that I cannot think of why she can't do the surgery. lol

Did anyone here have Anita Courcoulas?  Anyone have any thoughts on these fears being valid or not valid?

Ete 

Setting goals is the first step in turning the invisible into the visible.
Tony Robbins

jdruski
on 4/10/11 5:03 am, edited 4/10/11 5:04 am - Philadelphia, PA
ete,

You BMI being 54 will not be the factor for lap-band.  I was 69 and they had planned on lap-band up until the last minute when there was a problem and they had to go open.  I had no problems with the open.

As long as you tell her about the antidepressants so that the anesthesiologist can adjust your meds accordingly

All kinds of things can happen but that is tomorrow and try not to worry about that.  I was scheduled to have a vena cava filter installed the day before my surgery.  I called the day before only to find out they never scheduled me.  Unfortunately, I had to be in the hospital the next morning at 6AM and wait until there was an opening.  The opening never came until 4 that afternoon.    It was aggrevating but I got through it and so will you.

Take one day at a time.  Listen to what your doc tells you.  You have come to the best forum on OH.  Although the majority of the group are from the East side of PA there is a wealth of information and love on this board.

Best wishes and luck to you in your journey.

Jeanne
ete77
on 4/10/11 8:15 am - Pittsburgh, PA
 Thanks Jeanie,

I actually just discovered this PA site.  I've been on the Lap-Band site for a week now.  Thanks for your thoughts.  I know I'll be calmer after I hear back from the surgeon.  I'm so grateful for the OH boards because I have learned soooo much in just a week from reading other peoples questions and posts.  

Ete 

Tony Robbins

sandy L.
on 4/10/11 1:55 pm - Altoona, PA
sandy L.
on 4/10/11 1:58 pm - Altoona, PA
 Welcome Ete.  I had RNY done and there wasn't a problem with my antidepressant.  You'll have to find out if you take it after surgery if it can be crushed or is it small enough to be fit thru a straw.  This is a very good (ok the best) forum on OH.  Good luck in your journey.

ete77
on 4/10/11 9:35 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
 Oh jeeze I never thought of that.  I just read a post on the lap band forum about a woman who had lap band surgery and in one year only lost 30lbs!  I hope to goodness that is not typical!  Someone said it could be PCOS that affects weights loss- and I have that as well so now THAT is worrying me. lol  I guess I'm just having a "buffet of worry".

Ete 

Tony Robbins

dit657
on 4/10/11 10:06 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Welcome to the PA Boards - for some surgeons a BMI of 54 is too high for lapband, but it depends on the facility and the surgeon - that is something you would have to find out from your surgeon. I don't think the anti-depressants would be an issue.

As for whether or not the surgery is successful is fully dependent on YOU, and how you manage your life POST surgery. IF you follow the rules your nutritionist and surgeon give you, IF you exercise, IF you stay away from trigger foods and IF you continue to get support from meetings or forums such as this one you will be very successful. However, if you don't do those things there is a good chance you won't be.

Regardless of the type of surgery we have, it is up to us to make it work - it's not a miracle 'cure' for obesity - it will not fix your head issues with food - and it won't guarantee that you will lose a certain amount of weight  - these things are all up to one person - YOU.

I wish you all the best on your journey, because it is just that - I'm 3+ years out with RNY and yes, I still have issues with food (liking it too much) and exercise (not liking it enough), but I've managed to maintain 90% of my initial weight loss and I'm very happy about that. But it is something I work at every day, and when I let myself go and don't think about what I'm putting in my mouth I feel it in my jeans!!

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
(deactivated member)
on 4/10/11 11:34 pm - Hatboro, PA
I had the Realize Band put in, and my BMI was 54 when I started the whole process.  I started out at 379 lbs, and overall I've lost 88 lbs.  I lost 14 lbs pre-op, and then in the 7 1/2 months since the band was put in I've lost 74 lbs.  74 lbs is certainly nothing to shake a stick at, but it's not as fast as what many people lose with one of the bypass surgeries. 

My surgeon at first tried talking me out of getting the band and was trying to push me towards a bypass surgery, but because of pre-existing issues (stomach/gi problems) he decided that the band was in fact the best option for me.  Had my surgeon not been willing to do the band surgery, I was going to go and find a different surgeon that would do a band for me.   

With every type of surgery there are different types of risks and potential complications.  It's up to you to do the research and determine what surgery you're comfortable with, and what risks you're willing to take.   I know that for me, having my intestinal tract chopped up & rearranged was not something that I personally was comfortable with.  I would definitely recommend checking out the Lap Band Forum, the Realize Band Forum, and the various other surgery forums as well. 
swedeville1
on 4/11/11 5:16 am - Mount Pleasant, PA
Hey!  I may have some answers for you.  I had Dr. Courcoulas.  When I met with her for my initial consult she went over all of my options.  She talked about the typical results that you could expect with both surgeries, how long it would take, how much you could lose, etc.  She will present your options and suggest what she thinks is best for you.  I dont know for sure if there is any specific BMI that would exclude you for the Lap-band though.  I know I had a lot of fears and apprehension regarding the by-pass and was initially leaning toward the band but I ultimately picked the by-pass (Courcoulas agreed).  Each one of us has to feel comfortable with our decision and do what we think is right.
Secondly, i take a 10mg. antidepressant medication and she had no problem with that.  You will have to meet a therapist to discuss your upcoming surgery.  They are trying to make sure you unuderstaned that it will take hard work for you and that these operations arent a magic pill that cure everything for you. 
I hope your visit goes well with her.  I would just suggest that you keep an open mind about your options and weigh all the pros and cons and then make an informed decision.
Feel free to send me a private msg if you want. 
Take care!
Swede

HW=400  SW=383  CW=252  GW=240
Pounds to go=12!!!  Pounds Lost =148

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views