OT - More on parenting a bi-polar child

steffihope
on 4/7/11 2:07 am - Philadelphia, PA
So - here is what transpired at the Psychiatrist yesterday.  Molly went in in a realtively good mood.  We sat down and Molly shut down and wouldn't talk, so Larry and I did.  Told the doctor that Molly chose not to take her meds for a while and told no one, decided to leave the house without anyone's knowledge on Monday night and spent all of Tuesday in a state of depression.   His response was, so Molly, how is THAT working out for you?  Her response was something along the lines of usually pretty good, the last few days, not so much.  So the doctor advised us, like Molly wasn't even in the room, that she obviously like the severe modd swings and wanted to continue on that route no matter the consequences.  When he then did look at her and direct his comments to her - she agreed that that was true.  We then talked about a re-evaluation, and his response was, based on all the symptoms that were presented in the previous years and what just transpired - the diagnosis is correct and there is only medication along with psychotherapy to work through it.  We decided to cut her dosage in half again, I dont' necesasrily agree - but Molly is now 13 and has to be able to figure out how to gauge her own medication with us as supports.  We will see where she is in a month on 1mg per day.

As for the psychotherapist.  We have one - an amazing one - Alexis.  All of my kids have seen her - and there is a MAJOR relationship there - the one issue is that she was working with my kids under a special program that paid her and that program ended. She does not yet have enough hours for her certification - she is working diligently on that - however, still not there.  She spoke with her supervisor yesterday and was advised that they would make an excpetion and allow her to see Molly. However, she doesn't have space until the end of May.

So here are my options, look for a new counselor and go through the whole getting to know you stage and hope that Molly builds a connection with a new therapist, or wait until May until Molly can get back with Alexis.  I spoke with a friend today who suggested we find an interim person, perhaps her guidance counselor at school until Alexis is available. We might even want to give Molly the choice of who - she will HAVE to go to weekly counseling, it jsut depends on who she is comforatble with.

That is my thought right now unless you all have something else for me to think about - at this point, I will talk with Molly tonight and get her take on it all.  Poor kid - it totally breaks my heart!

Thank you to all who love Molly and respect the issues that come along with mental illness.  I appreciate all the support!
Sara E.
on 4/7/11 2:25 am - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
Steffi,
I hope your talk with Molly goes well tonight.  I know the feeling of having your heart break because of what your child is feeling.  It is a terrible helpless feeling and my heart goes out to you & Molly.  Good luck and know we are all here for you.
Sara

spirit56
on 4/7/11 4:07 am - Philadelphia, PA
Steffi,

I think the idea of an interim counselor for Molly is a good idea.  Kudos on having her choose who she would like to see until Alexis is available.  I have been working with an interim therapist while mine was on leave (her partner of 32 years died recently).  While I miss my therapist (working with her for 10 years), the person she suggested has been very helpful during this time.  I feel for you.  Be assured that I feel you and Larry are doing a great job of working with a bi-polar child.  I can't begin to imagine how stressful and yet rewarding that can be.  Be assured of my prayers for both you and Molly.  Take care.

Donna
bvohl
on 4/7/11 5:03 am
Steffi,

Oh honey, I feel for you!! It is so frustrating when you see your child suffering! You and Larry are great parents and Molly is a GREAT kid!! It seems that you are on the right track. I think asking Molly what she wants to do in the meantime is a good idea, give her input in her treatment!!

We are here for you, Larry, Molly and the rest of the family!!

Love you guys!!

Love, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Sansobel
on 4/7/11 6:31 am - Coatesville, PA
First and foremost,  I think you are one of the best moms out there.  I also think an interim might be a good idea.  But I also like the comment you made about Molly starting to make some decisions on her own.  when you talk to her see what choices she would make.  (doesn't mean you have to do them but it might be a good guage on where she is at in managing herself)

Good Luck!!
Sandra           
Lisa H.
on 4/7/11 10:31 am - Whitehall, PA
 Sis.... I think that you are headed in the right direction with her.  I think finding an interim therapist is a good idea.  I don't think it would be wise to leave her with nothing.  She needs someone to talk to and to encourage her to take her meds and see if she can think before she reacts.    I do agree that letting Molly meet a couple of therapists and having her decide who she is comfortable with is a good idea.  Siehara had been through at least 3 before we found Monica.  She doesn't ALWAYS open up to Monica, but she has made much more progress than anyone else. 

You know I am here for you any time day or night.  I love you and I'll see you tomorrow. 

My tracker

hers 

swedeville1
on 4/7/11 11:39 pm - Mount Pleasant, PA
Hey, I think you need a therapist right away.  Seven weeks is too long to wait.  Find someone new.  I think having Molly help in the decision is a good idea; however, dont let her sabotage a new therapist.  She should have a very real reason why she doesnt want the new one you find.  If she is reluctant to counseling she might try that manipulation technique. 
also, im sure you have done this but work hard at trying to normalize this whole process for her.  Im sure she feels les than because she suffers from this and has to take medication, when the majority of her friends dont have the same issues.  This would explain the refusal of medication, especially if she was hiding it from you.

Good luck on thhis Steffi!  This is not an easy road to travel.
Swede 

HW=400  SW=383  CW=252  GW=240
Pounds to go=12!!!  Pounds Lost =148

dommiepa
on 4/8/11 11:09 am - Towanda, PA
I sent you a message.

Yvonne.    To thine own self be true.     hw 432/ sw 352/ cw196.8/gw 200  RNY 8/11/10 Corsettrunkplasty & thigh lipo 5/16/2012.

itsjustmeyousee
on 4/13/11 9:48 am
Steffi,
I am new to this board and fairly quiet on OH in general, but I am trying to change that ;-)
My 15 year old son has a dual diagnosis of bi-polar disorder/Aspergers Syndrome.
It is an incredibly hard thing to live knowing that your child is hurting.
I just wanted you to know that you are not alone and you are doing a great job advocating for your child!
I hope to talk to you again sometime, you and your family are in my thoughts!
LisaAnne
10/18/10

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views