My Back To Basics class--long

Lisa H.
on 4/5/11 10:08 pm - Whitehall, PA
So, I went to the first class at the hospital yesterday.  There were only 3 of us in the class besides the social worker--I'm going to call them J and C to make my life easier.  J is also about 2 years out, like I am.  Her weight is similar to mine and she has gained a few pounds and wants to stop it before it gets out of control.  She only has a few extra pounds to lose b/c she is much taller than I am.  

C is 8 years out and has gained all of her weight back.. I was heartbroken for her.  She had a hard time sharing and has no support.  She has had a lot of major life events in the past few years and is really struggling.  She is hoping for a revision and the surgeon has her taking this class before he'll agree to do it.  I am hoping this class helps her and that we can offer her the support she needs.  

So, we started out just introducing ourselves and getting to know each other a bit.   We were each asked to share something good.  J and I both had good things to share.  C, not so much.  She said that she was there so she could find the good.  I told her that the fact that she was there IS the good.  I think that helped a little bit.  I hope it did.  

One of the things that stuck out in my mind is a story the social worker told us about CHOICE and attitude.  

A young Indian boy was auditioning along with some of us for a school play. his
              mother knew he'd set his heart on being in the play -- just like the rest of us                       hoped, too -- and she feared how he would react if he was not chosen.

On the day the parts were awarded the little boy's mothers went to the school on               her horse to collect her son. The little boy rushed up to her and her horse, eyes                     shining  with pride and excitement.

"Guess what, Mom," he shouted, and then said the words that provide a lesson to                 us all, "I've been chosen to clap and cheer."
                           -Ed Slow Horse Chaparro

The boy could have reacted in a completely different way to not being given a part, but instead he found the joy.  

For this week, I am going to choose a different attitude when it comes to measuring and journaling my food.  It was pointed out to me that I am not being lazy.  There is some sort of self-sabotage going on that needs to be addressed.  I need to feel worthy enough to make the effort to do it.  CHOICE gives me the power to make the decision.  

We were also given the book, "Healing the Hungry Self", by Deirdra Price.   We have to read chapter 1 and complete the exercises for next week.  I am glad there is an assignment because it will force me to do the work and be accountable to someone else. They also had us put down our weight yesterday and we are going to track every week... more accountability to someone else that will help to keep me on track.

My tracker

hers 

bvohl
on 4/5/11 10:52 pm
Lisa,

Sounds like it was a good decision to take this class! I love the story about the boy! It is a life lesson for sure!

So proud of you for doing this!!!

Love, Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

Sansobel
on 4/5/11 11:26 pm - Coatesville, PA
I agree.. I think you are going to get a lot out of this class.. and I will bet you will a great support for your classmates.

You can do this!!
Sandra           
swedeville1
on 4/6/11 12:25 am - Mount Pleasant, PA
Im very happy for you Lisa!  This group sounds like just what you were looking for.  Give all of yourself to it and reap the benifits! 

Swede

HW=400  SW=383  CW=252  GW=240
Pounds to go=12!!!  Pounds Lost =148

Arlene E.
on 4/6/11 4:05 am - Philadelphia, PA

Lisa

Thanks for sharing this.  It all sounds very sensible and the Indian story is terrific.  Self-sabotage is something that so many of us share.  I do not know that I will ever understand why but I guess it's important to at least know that's what it is and to hopefully figure out how to overcome it, even if just one day at a time.  

I chuckled when I read that you were glad there was an assignment.  That is so me.  I seem only do stuff if it is "assigned."  What is that about?  Oy- so much to think about.

arlene 

Lisa H.
on 4/6/11 6:44 am - Whitehall, PA
 I've had Anatomy of a Food Addiction and Women, Food and God for a long time and have yet to do anything in them.  

The assignment will do me good. 

My tracker

hers 

Sara E.
on 4/6/11 6:16 am - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
Lisa,
This class sounds like just what you need right now.  Keep us posted on how it goes logging this week and how next week's class goes.  I am having a lot of stress right now and it is hear to fight those old food demons.  I am trying to log even more religiously to keep myself on track.  I hope your classmates are as motivated as you to succeed.  Keep working hard my friend.
Sara

futurefitnhappy
on 4/7/11 1:56 pm - PA
Wow, that class sounds great! I look forward to hearing about more of the meetings from you.
Deborah
HW 258/ PSW 245/ CW 165.8/ GW 131.5 (HighestWt/PreSurgWt/CurrentWt/GoalWt)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views