New to the forum

Dee2011
on 4/5/11 1:54 am - PA

I am new this forum.  I am scheduled for RNY on this Friday and up till this point have been pretty calm, but now I am getting really nervous, scared but still excited to start my new journey.  I just want to get through this surgery with no complications.  I have researched the surgery and know that there can be complications also, I do not throw up now, ever, and I am so not wanting the foamies.  Any words of wisdom or guidance you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Sara E.
on 4/5/11 2:35 am - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
Welcome!
My advice is to follow all of your Doctor's orders exactly.  I have and have had no regrets, only success.  I have never thrown up or had dumping syndrome since surgery, and hope I never do.  I do excatly what I am told and log everything.  Stick to the basics and nothing can stop you from successing.  Good luck!
Sara

steffihope
on 4/5/11 3:04 am - Philadelphia, PA
Welcome - I am with Skinny Sara E!  Do exactly what the doctor says.  I too have never thrown up - I did dump twice - both because I ate too fast and too much.  Not a pleasant experience - however, a learning one!  It is VERY normal to be nervous - but you hit the nail on the head - this is a new JOURNEY.  One that will come with all sorts of challenges - however, the wows outweigh all of them.    Read Swedeville's post from earlier to see some of the positives.  Feel free to ask anything and post often -we will try to steer you in the right direction - often with humor and love!

Welcome! :)
Sara E.
on 4/6/11 2:33 am - Pennsylvania Furnace, PA
Skinny?!?!  Who...ME??!!
I love you most of all Steffi!
I don't see myself as skinny yet.  I have body issues.
And I will call you back to talk about the plastics too.

STEFFI     ROCKS!!!

pennykid
on 4/5/11 3:28 am - PA

Yes, there can be complications, but most people don't have complications.  It's just that everyone loves to tell horror stories, especially about weight loss surgery.  I'm almost 2 years out and have only dumped once---and it was entirely my fault for having too much sugar alcohol.  I have absolutely no regrets having this surgery!  It's changed my life in a lot of ways---I'm healthier than I've ever been, can do so much more without getting tired, and have lots of wonderful new friends, to name just a few of the benefits.  It's completely normal to be scared before surgery, so take a deep breath, relax, and think about all the positive changes that will come your way. 

Julia              
Laureen S.
on 4/5/11 4:24 am - Maple Shade, NJ
No regrets here, it's been a hell of a journey and it continues. . . 

As everyone else said, follow your surgeon's instructions and you should do well. . .  complications happen, but that is not the norm and as for the less pleasant things such as foamies, well I experienced them, the first time I was lucky in that I was with a group of WLSr's and they got me through it, it was not so horrible, I went in the bathroom, up it came and I was fine afterwards, that particular time, I was early out, did not have a handle on what I could tolerate foodwise and probably ate a little too quickly and that is generally what brings the foamies about, that or eating too much.  As for throwing up, my experience before surgery and after are quite different, ie, viruses, and were violent episodes pre-surgery, since surgery, usually as a by-product of eating too fast, not chewing well enough, starts with the foamies and leads to getting sick, but unlike pre-surgical days, comes up easy and done, not something you want to have and so long as you do the chewing, the eating slowly, more than likely you won't have to experience it.

I honestly think when all is said and done, after your initial healing process and subsequent reintroduction to food post-WLS, you will be quite happy!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and an awesome journey towards healthy and fuller living!

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

dit657
on 4/5/11 9:44 am - Boothwyn, PA
Welcome to the PA boards. Sounds like you've done your research and are ready for your surgery and journey. Listening to your doctor, nurse and nut will be key to a good surgical experience and recovery.

That being said some of us dump and get foamies - at 3+ years out I will stll dump or have something get stuc****asionally. It happens - it's not fun but it also isn't life threatening - if it happens to you it will pass. I found out I dump on sugar the hard way and quite accidentally so I avoid sugar but I have dumped on natural sugars too. So you just never know.

We're always here to listen and help if needed. Sending prayers and well wishes your way for a safe surgery and speedy recovery.

Kathy

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
lynnc99
on 4/5/11 9:53 am
Welcome Dee! What part of PA are you from?

I too have had a complication free experience. I dumped only once, from a protein shake....waited too long to eat.

It is normal to have the jitters by put when surgery day arrives you wont have time to worry about a thing. We will be watching for you on the flip side!
Maura M.
on 4/5/11 12:21 pm - Yardley, PA
Welcome!  I am 15 months out and have never had the foamies, nor have I ever spit anything back up or thrown up, so my experience has been a great one!  Wishing you the easiest of surgeries and the speediest recovery.  Come on here and ask anything you want to - even the things that you might think are silly - trust me, one of us has though it, feared it or experienced it.

Looking forward to hearing from you post op and sharing in the happy times ahead!

Maura
Maura

Nicole0216
on 4/5/11 9:34 pm - Lancaster, PA

Welcome and good luck on your journey

I had no complications either other than MY BRAIN taking over and causing me to have some regain but that is all part of it and can be dealt with.   Best decision I ever made and the hardest

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views