Consignment help?

KTeacherGirl
on 4/2/11 10:09 pm
Hi everyone-

I'm not a big poster (I am a lurker though) but I would like to know if anyone has had any luck anywhere with consignment?

I tried Plato's closet and they won't take my stuff (too old, even though it's in great shape). The other place my me you can only bring 20 items at a time, and the appointments are during weekdays, which is going to take forever, since I work.

Any suggestions? I'm not opposed to donating, it's just that the extra cash would be great, since we're living on one salary.

Thanks for any advice!

-Sarah

The soul is healed by being with children.
Fyodor Dostoevsky    
jdubbs2
on 4/3/11 12:22 am - easton, PA
6 years ago I used ebay.
john
pennykid
on 4/3/11 5:09 am - PA
Hi Sarah,

I had looked into consignment but decided there were just too many rules to make it worth my effort.  I donate my stuff and claim it on my taxes.  Another option would be for you to have a yard sale, but you would have to sell your stuff cheap, like $1/article, in order for people to buy it.  Or do you know someone who's wearing the size you're looking to get rid of?  You could give some clothes to them.  Or, like the other poster mentioned, there's always ebay.  And craigslist.
Julia              
Lisa H.
on 4/3/11 9:02 pm - Whitehall, PA
Looks like you live in the Philly area, so this may not work for you.  BUT, our dear friend Deb Coscia owns a plus size consignment shop in Bethlehem.  It's called Abundant Style.  If you can't make it here, she may be able to give you better advice about dealing with consignment shops.  Hopefully she'll chime in with some info for you. 

My tracker

hers 

Patricia R.
on 4/3/11 9:13 pm - Perry, MI
I never tried consignment shops, but have donated to the Salvation Army, and gotten a tax receipt for deductions.  What I did was type my own receipt, and made two copies.  When I got to the donation center, I stapled my receipt to theirs, and they got a copy and I kept a copy.  I itemized the receipt by how many types, condition, value, etc.  One time, I had over $300 in receipts. 

If you need the cash now, it might be worth it to head  to the Lehigh Valley for our friend's shop.

Good luck,
Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Decolady
on 4/3/11 9:37 pm - Bethlehem Twp., PA
Hi Sarah,
This is Deb, I am the owner of Abundant Style, which Lisa mentioned.  All I can tell you is that each shop is different, keep trying different places.  What one shop won't take another one might.  If your clothes are truly like new, I would think someone would take them, unless they are really dated or from Walmart /Kmart.  You can go to my website, www.abundantstyle.com, to see what our criteria is for taking clothes.
Hope this helps and good luck,
Deb
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views