OMG I HAVE A DATE!!!

MELMEL308
on 3/30/11 8:39 am - PA
OMG OMG!!!!  I have a surgery date!  May 16, 2011!!  It sounds like a good date.. Right after Easter, and right before Memorial Day..lol  I am soo excited, but oh so scared... I don't know what my next move is though... I have jumped my hurdles to get the date, now what!?!?! 
                            ~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
bvohl
on 3/30/11 11:04 am
Good Evening!

Congrats on having a date!! Now reality will set in....sad but true!! I would like to suggest some preparation now so it won't be so overwhelming when you are a post op.  I don't know what your dietary restrictions are or are going to be but many surgeons have you do similar things. First of all, GET RID of all food, snacks, treats that you will not be allowed post op...do it now! If you need to give up caffeine for the surgery(which you probably will for the first 6-8 weeks), I would suggest weaning off of it now as well. I did that and I was glad I was not having caffeine headaches along with all the post op stuff! Start getting into a exercise routine if you already are not in one. Even a simple walk each day will help!! Get things like a big insulated bag for you to pack protein drinks/shakes in along with shaker bottles.

I don't know where you are in PA, but there is a FANTASTIC support group in Langhorne, PA at Barix Clinics. We meet on the third Wednesday and First Saturday of the month. If you can't make it to us, I am sure there are support groups near where you live, just not as good as ours!!LOL!! Support IS the key, I firmly believe that!

I am almost two years out and have lost 130lbs!

Good luck to you and keep us updated on your progress!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

MELMEL308
on 3/31/11 3:48 am - PA
Thank you!!!  I know that I am going to do some much preperation... I already told my hubby that we are getting rid of all junk food...lol

It is good to know about the support group meeting on saturdays.. I work 12pm -8pm in Center City Philadelphia, so it is hard to get to my support group at Jefferson... Now I know there is one on the weekends...thank you! :-)
                            ~Melanie~
"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a beautiful butterfly"                                       
bvohl
on 3/31/11 5:38 am
PLEASE come out and join us!! We are a crazy but lovable group....

First Saturday meeting is actually THIS Saturday if you want to come out! It is from 11-1:30 at Barix Clinics in Langhorne in the lobby. Look for me!!

Hope to see you!

Beth V.

I had to put Beth V, because there is ANOTHER Beth in our group and in this forum and we are friends.

Good Luck
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

lynnc99
on 3/30/11 11:06 am
Congratulations Melanie! The next few weeks will FLY by!

Do you have kids at home? Are you married? Now is the time to line up your support system and do things like cook ahead for the fam, clean the house (so you don't have to later on), etc.

How exciting!
MELMEL308
on 3/31/11 3:52 am - PA
I have a fiance and a one year old...  I know its going to be tough not doing much with the baby but in the long run, its going to be worth it...i plan on lots of walks with my daughter so at least i can have that time with her... Fortunately, my fiance (Husband we have been together for 7 years, not married) does alot of the cooking...i told him he is going to have to closet hide and eat at least during the pre op liquid diet..no cookng smells int he house...lol I didn't think about having the cooking and cleaning done before hand...i feel like i am preparing during a pregnancy..>LOL
                            ~Melanie~
Maura M.
on 3/30/11 11:37 am - Yardley, PA
Congratulations Melanie - Beth has given you some great advice above!  Let us know what your docs pre-op and post op instructions are for types of food (liquids/ soft foods, etc., ) and we can make suggestions for some things to have around the house!  I also recommend that you purchase small containers so that you can take 1/2 cup size servings of foods for when you get out of the liquid phase.  Reach out to us and ask anythign ou want. 

This is an exciting and scary time, but well worth it!
Maura

Nicole0216
on 3/30/11 7:46 pm - Lancaster, PA
congratulations
(deactivated member)
on 3/30/11 8:12 pm - PA
Congrates and good luck.  Enjoy the journey
Lisa H.
on 3/30/11 9:04 pm - Whitehall, PA
 Congrats on getting your date!! 

I was get myself into a healthy eating pattern as soon as possible.  Try to cut out carbs and add protein rich foods to your diet.  Drink lots of water and exercise if you can.  

If you lose weight prior to the surgery, it will make it much easier on the surgical team to see what they need to see.

Good luck and we'll make room for you on the loser's bench!!

My tracker

hers 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views