hello everyone...Philadelphia here.

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/11 9:43 am

Hey i just wanted to introduce myself i did not know there was a PA forum, I went to my first appointment at university of penn today with dr.willams, who is great, I Really had my mind set on getting the Sleeve but my insurance PERSONAL CHOICE..will only cover the sleeve with a bmi of 50 or higher, my bmi is 44, so my insurance covers only lapband and Gastric bypass.
I already know i do not want Lapband so I am going to go to a support group on Gastric bypass and start my3 month weight mangament...i just wanted to make some friends here and hear about everyones journey!!  thanks for reading.
Arlene E.
on 3/23/11 12:17 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Welcome to PA board.  We are a great group - best forum on OH!

I had Gastric Bypass 4 years ago and know it was the best decision for me to lead a healthier life.  My surgery was at Barix in Langhorne and that is where I attend support groups. You are welcome to join us - pre ops meet 2nd Tuesday every month. 

Along with the hundred pounds that I have lost, I have gained friends who understand what this journey is like - the ups and the down.

Good luck with your weight mgmt plan.

Arlene 

IdaMae D.
on 3/23/11 8:18 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Welcome to the PA boards!  Good luck with your journey!!!!

Ida

IdaMae

Nicole0216
on 3/23/11 8:38 pm - Lancaster, PA
Good luck with your journey. You are lucky to have found us now because we are FABULOUS! lol this is my family. You will need all the support you can get on this road
(deactivated member)
on 3/24/11 7:03 am
thank you so much!
Lisa H.
on 3/23/11 9:23 pm - Whitehall, PA
 Welcome Michelle.. good luck with your journey and stick around.  We are a warm loving bunch and for many of us this has become our family!!

My tracker

hers 

lynnc99
on 3/23/11 10:03 pm

Welcome to the PA forum! I had RNY 20 months ago, at Barix in Langhorne. (However, my office is in Philly, right next to the Penn campus area.)

I have lost 105 lbs. and have gone from a size 22/2X  to a size 6-8 and small. The process has been unbelievably smooth for me, without any complications. I have settled into a routine with my eating that seems to work pretty well. We do eat out fairly often, so I have had to figure out how to negotiate restaurant menus.

This is a terrific board - you will get REAL information here to help you along the way!

Laureen S.
on 3/23/11 11:19 pm - Maple Shade, NJ
Welcome to the PA Forum, as has been said, one of the best places online to get support. . . 

While Arlene mentioned the Barix Support Groups, I want to chime in here that we also have a support group that meets monthly on the First Saturday of each month, so April 2nd would be the next one, that group breaks down into smaller groups based on pre-op to newly post-op, etc.  Our support groups are open to anyone, regardless of where you choose to have surgery and it is to offer a support system that is based on people who are walking the same path as you.  We have a nutritionist at all of our meetings and while each surgeon's instructions vary, and you will always be advised to follow those instructions, it is still a way to get additional help and ideas as you progress along this path.  Success long-term is greatly enhanced by regular participation in support.

Wishing you well as you begin your journey towards healthier and fuller living.

Laureen

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

(deactivated member)
on 3/24/11 7:04 am
i would be very interestd in coming to one of your support groups..where is it located?
Laureen S.
on 3/24/11 9:29 am, edited 3/24/11 9:31 am - Maple Shade, NJ
Michelle,

Our meetings are held in the Lobby of Barix Clinics in Langhorne. It is in the area by the Oxford Valley Mall, if you google it, you can get the exact address. Look forward to seeing you there if and when you can make it.

Laureen

PS, meeting time on First Saturday is 11 a.m. until 1:30. Pre-op meeting meets 2nd Tuesday, same place, but at 7 p.m. and is run by Beth.

My Mantra is that I do not determine my success by the number hanging in my closet, nor will I let the scale determine that success either. . .  It is through trial and error I will continue to grow and succeed. . .  Laureen

"Success is a journey, not a destination."  Ben Sweetland

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views