Don't cheat on your pre-op diet. It's not worth the cost

apw0
on 3/22/11 12:58 am - Doylestown, PA
I just read an interesting post on another vertical sleeve website. The woman went to the hospital for her surgery date. They gave her a blood thinner, and drew labs in case she needed a transfusion, and she was ready to go. The doc came in, and said that he noticed that she gained a few pounds, and he asked her if she had eaten any carbs during her pre-op diet. She said that she couldn't lie, and said yes, she had a bit. Sadly, her surgery was cancelled. The doc explained how all carbs get stored in the liver and swells it up, even if it's only a little bit.  He told her to call the office and make an appt in 2 weeks, where she will be weighed again. So she got dressed, and left the hospital, very, very sad.
I start my pre-op diet next week, and after reading this post, I now understand and appreciate how important it is that I stick with the diet, no matter what! I would hate to have to come as far as I have, only to be told that I have to wait another few weeks.
So I just wanted to share with everyone, that experience. So if you are planning on starting your pre-op diet soon, think twice before you choose any carbs. You will only be hurting yourself.
A.

dit657
on 3/22/11 9:46 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Good post and a good bit of advice for those who are considering WLS of any kind but stressing over the pre-op diets - my surgeon put me on a 10 day liquid diet pre-op and while it wasn't the easiest thing in the world to do, it helped me immensely - I lost 17 lbs - my body was in much better shape for surgery - and I remember the surgeon seeing me in recovery telling me that everything went great - my liver was 'nice and small' and very easy to work around. Plus it prepares you for those initial crucial weeks following surgery when you are limited to liquids.

And I don't know about other surgeons, but at Barix if you arrived on your surgery date weighing more than you last visit they would not do surgery.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views