Why does it bother me?

BariatricBSN
on 3/14/11 1:49 am

HI Trish,

Not that patients can't fail a RNY, but I ALWAYS coounsel patients that if they are sweets eaters AT ALL then the band may not be the tool for them.  If we give someone a band who we KNOW has problems with sweets, soda, etc. we set them up for failure.  That being said, it is the patient who makes the final decision, but the surgeon can always refer someone to a different program if he does not think the band will work for them.  I wonder how truthful your sister was in telling the surgeon/nut what her eatiing patterns were.

As for you, PRAY and leave your sister in HIS hands.  These things frustrate me as well when I see patients go through a life-changing surgery, and then the do NOT change their habits!

I think your sister is well aware of what she is doing, but probably doesn't want to do the hard work to change her ways.  LET GO AND LET GOD!  {{{{{hug}}}}

Patricia R.
on 3/14/11 2:16 am - Perry, MI
Thanks Nurse,
I don't know to what extent my sister discussed her choices with Dr. Dempsey.  When I suggested RNY to my sister, she ruled it out because of previous blood clots.  She indicated she was afraid to go that route because of her history with clots.  I have had clots, but after my surgery.  My family has a genetic clotting disorder, and we buried two brothers to clots.

Thanks for the reminder to put things in God's hands.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

LindaScrip
on 3/15/11 3:37 am
Trish I agree with the other posters you can only control yourself not others.  You can only give the other people support and its up to them what they do.  If Sissy was sincere in following her program she would have politely told Eileen to not bring things like that to her home and Eileen should have known better than that.  The important thing is that Trish stuck to her guidlines. I started out thinking about doing the band but changed my mind because I needed that restriction and have never regretted it since.  To me the lap band is a smack in the hand and the gastric is a kick in the rear .  As far as your family ceasing things I would tell them it is what it is and please respect it.  Stand your ground. You can;t make Sissy go to meetings she has to want to go.  Like AA and NA no one can make you you have to want to.  I know.
R K.
on 3/15/11 7:50 pm
Trish, think about this for a minute. Sometimes things like that bother us because we feel (consciously of subconsciously) that their failure is a reflection on our surgery. To the public WLS is WLS and they see her surgery as a failure so we worry it is a reflection of what we chose.

May not be the case but is something as humans it's hard to deny.
"If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time."
Randy Pausch
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views