How long between sleep study and surgery...

purplecrayon
on 3/8/11 11:22 am - NJ
I'm just curious how many months/weeks did it take you to go from having a sleep study to surgery? I'm having my sleep study done this Friday, the 11th. Surgery at Barix. Should I be looking at April or May or even later? Everything else is done.
Cheryl.P
on 3/8/11 6:12 pm - Philadelphia, PA
i had my surgery at the langhorne, barix clinic  but a different surgeon. i was told 200 hours. so you can divide 200 by how many hours you sleep to get an answer. it also depends on if and  how badly you have sleep apnea. good luck
purplecrayon
on 3/8/11 8:26 pm - NJ
That's where Im having and keeping my fingers crossed for no sleep apnea since the 200 hundred hrs is just crazy and know others, including my husband who didnt have it done in Barix and didn't need 200 hrs and had a problem free surgery and great results. But I guess I'm wondering at what point did Barix call you to schedule a date? When you got your c-pap machine or after you put in 200 hrs?
Cherylkas
on 3/8/11 9:19 pm - PA
I was a lucky one. I did not need to have a sleep study. Good luck on yours.
dit657
on 3/8/11 9:29 pm - Boothwyn, PA
Barix will actually contact you and schedule your appointment - if you're going through them they have their timeline for the wearing the C-Pap (if you need one) and going through the other processes you need prior ot surgery.

I will tell you this - when you go in for your pre-admin testing just prior to surgery you have to take your C-Pap machine with you and they can read the number of hours you've used it - so don't cheat. If you're close to where they want you to be you'll be fine.

Best of luck to you - your surgery date will be here before you know it, but get through the sleep test first - one step at a time.

'One shoe can change your life'...Cinderella
Cheryl.P
on 3/8/11 10:02 pm - Philadelphia, PA
i am sure it is probably considered cheating ,but i went to bed early and watched tv wearing the machine. this added hours. don't just turn on the machine and not wear it they can tell by the pressure readings.

kgoeller
on 3/8/11 10:36 pm - Doylestown, PA
That depends entirely on what they find in the sleep study.  If they find you have apnea and prescribe a CPAP, you'll generally have to go back for a second study where they do a "titration" to determine what level of airflow you need to sleep safely.  That's generally when they deliver the unit to you, or it might be the next week after that. 

Then, it depends on your doctor's protocol.  My doctor (who was also at Barix) required a minimum of 200 hours of CPAP use prior to surgery.  Frankly, I am glad that she did.  I was unaware that I had apnea and after starting to use the CPAP I realized I had never felt so rested when I woke up!  It does take a while to adjust to having the mask on to sleep and you may need to do a little experimenting to figure out which style of mask suits you.  The amount of time it takes to adjust to CPAP usage is highly variable - it took me a few weeks, and I know others who it's taken months.  Just stick with it because it is a serious health issue.

Of course, if they find no apnea, there's no need for further delay.

Good luck!

karen
pennykid
on 3/9/11 1:54 am - PA
Don't get yourself into a panic.  Yeah, 200 hours sounds like a lot.  I was afraid I would never get my hours in, or that it would take forever.  It actually went pretty quick.  And I don't sleep 8 hours a night; I get more like 6.  My first sleep study was in March, then I think I had one in April to figure out what level my cpap needed to be on.  My surgery was in mid June.  It could have been done a little sooner, but I was trying to schedule around some personal things.  Focus on getting healthy, however long it takes. 

I don't know Dr. Medvetz, but I am a Barix Baby.  Awesome place!  Everyone you'll deal with there understands your needs and is just wonderful. 
Julia              
purplecrayon
on 3/9/11 4:42 am - NJ
 Im not panicking, EXCITED is more like it. I have basically everything through my own eyes since my husband got RNY last August(different place from Barix). He lost 130 lbs in 7 months and I have seen him get sick, happy, on c-pap machine, and all that good(and bad) stuff. Im SOOOO READY for this! Im an inpatient person as you can see LOL so I just want it to hurry up. I turn 30 yrs old on May 10th and would love to have this surgery as my birthday present. Or having it before my birthday would even be better 
LindaScrip
on 3/10/11 9:35 am
I had my study was put on the cpap and logged 200 hours took about maybe three weeks my sleep study center wrote me a letter saying I logged the hours the machine has a memory card and they got me in right away so figure middle of April depending on availability for surgery. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views