Advise needed, Please

sandy L.
on 3/8/11 8:33 am - Altoona, PA
 I had RNY on Friday 3/4/2011 and am home.  I'm having problems with getting all my protein so I got some whey today.  Now I can't move my bowels.  I've tried mineral oil and am still waiting for it to work.  Can someone please advise me of something that worked for them.   I'm just worrying mysself about this.  I do have a message in to the Doctors office, but I haven't heard from them yet.  Thanks for your help.  Sandy
bvohl
on 3/8/11 8:38 am
Sandy,

First, take a deep breath! I'll wait........

The best suggestion I can make is WATER, WATER, WATER....WALK, WALK, WALK!!! The more fluid you take in and the more movement you do should help things along. Just try not to panic!! It will be ok....

Good luck!

Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

sandy L.
on 3/8/11 8:44 am - Altoona, PA
ok exhailing......

Thank you so much Beth.  I keep drinking and drinking but I guess I need more walking than what i'm doing.  I'll go to the treadmill right now and walk for a bit.  Maybe by morning I'll feel better.  

This is harder not to panic than I thought when something isn't going correct (well according to my printout from the dr's office).  I thought everyones body responds the same way.  Next time I promise not to panic, instead I'll take a deep breath and walk some more.

Sandy
bvohl
on 3/8/11 8:58 am
Sandy,

It is ok to panic, you just had major surgery! The emotions that you are experiencing are totally normal. Don't worry about making your protein goal just yet. As Donna said, fluids and moving are most important now. The first week post op I think I was up every couple of hours walking, not alot, but I would walk around the inside of the house and do laps.My surgeon also gave us stretching exercises and they really helped move gas out! My hubby was my biggest cheerleader (and chief pain in the ass) when I came home from the hospital. Oh, wait a minute he is STILL a pain in the ass!! Thought I would give you a laugh!!

You will learn that we a crazy bunch of folks, but we mean well!! Welcome to the BEST board around!!

Friend me if you like...

Take care and MOVE IT GIRL!!!
 Beth
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wvHjqcu/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wvHjqcu/weight.png">>

spirit56
on 3/8/11 8:41 am - Philadelphia, PA
Sandy,

After I had my RNY I was told to get in half of my protein at first.  The important thing is that you get your fluids in and walk so you don't have problems with gas.  The key is to sip,sip,sip and walk,walk,walk.  If I recall we were told to work our way up to our protein goal. I think I met it totally after 6 weeks.  I don't know what kind of diet you are on.  At Barix we had to do 1 week of liquids, then pureed foods, then soft foods and finally at six weeks we could introduce other foods.  Maybe others can correct me if I am wrong.  It has been almost 2 years for me so my memory is a little fuzzy.  Welcome to the losers' bench.  Take it slow.  Good luck.

Donna
sandy L.
on 3/8/11 8:52 am - Altoona, PA
 Donna,

For the first time in my life i'm excited to be a loser.

You would laugh at my "set up".  I have little medicine cups and fill them with what i'm drinking now so I know how many more I need to drink in say an hour.  I keep drinking but I still don't think it's enough.  I just need to take things slower and remind myself that everyitng will work out in the end.  I'm gonna stick a post it on the phone and the fridge "take it slow" maybe that will help me not to rush the protein.  

Thanks for the help,

Sandy
lmcc725
on 3/8/11 12:40 pm - Scranton, PA
I seem to remember waiting days to a week before my bowels moved. Don't forget the anesthesia makes them lazy too!
I had a really hard time drinking the first week, but I tried my hardest . I also remember advice of don't worry too much about proteins til weeks 3 on. I did alot of strained soups(didnt like plain broth) and cream of wheat...sugar free pops(good for liquids) and SF jello mashed potatoes and whey protein shakes.
Hope any of this there helps.
                 Lynn      HW-237/SW-225.8/GW-130   
    I already Kicked Cancer's Ass...
Decolady
on 3/8/11 9:11 pm - Bethlehem Twp., PA
Yes, I had the same problems early out!  I started taking (and I still take) one stool softener gel cap every morning and I mix 1 tsp. unflavored Benefiber in every bottle of water.  Be prepared for when you do go, it will probably HURT.  This is all normal!!  It does get better as you start adding more foods to your diet.

Hope this helps,
Deb
kgoeller
on 3/8/11 10:51 pm - Doylestown, PA
Sandy,

There are a few things to remember - prior to surgery, you were pretty much "cleaned out" from a GI perspective.  Since surgery, you've likely only had liquids.  Liquid in = liquid out.  Sorry, this is about to get a little gross here...  

When you do have your first post-op bowel movements, they will likely be very runny and mostly mucous.  You may feel the URGE for a bowel movement long before you can actually have one.  That's fine and that's normal.  As you introduce foods that will "solidify" in your bowels, your body is still adjusting to new digestive enzymes PLUS the painkillers and anesthesia you have been on are known to make bowel processing sluggish.  Sluggish movement gives more time for the bowels to extract liquid, so the resulting movements will likely be hard and painful at first. 

As with anything, follow your doctor's advice BUT... I found adding a healthy dose of benefiber to my protein shakes helped, as did taking daily stool softeners (NOT laxatives).  Once I was on solid foods, my doctor recommended Miralax as a laxative, which I found I had to take periodicially for the first about 6 months - about once a week - just to keep things going well. In fact, I still take the stool softeners, as I find that the protein-heavy nutritional plan does tend to lead to occasional constipation even now. 

As you're only 5 days out from surgery, though, you don't need to be worrying so much about the "further out" issues.  Just focus on getting in your fluids (#1 priority) and protein (#2 priority).   Move as much as you can - that will not only help with getting rid of the gas and prevent blood clots, it will also stimulate the digestive tract to do its work.  The bowel movements will come when they come. 

Enjoy the journey of a (new) lifetime!

Karen
Patricia R.
on 3/10/11 10:37 am - Perry, MI

Hi there,
You have been given great suggestions so far.  For protein, I bought Isopure Grape Frost, and had one a day, in addition to my other liquids.  There are 40 grams of protein in one bottle.  Isopure has other flavors, but I like the Grape Frost most.  It tastes like Kool Aid.

Keep walking and sipping. 

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views