Planning menus?

jastypes
on 3/4/11 1:24 am - Croydon, PA
Do you plan your menus ahead of time, or just eat in the moment, day-by-day, following your nutritionist's advice and pouch rules?  If you plan, do you plan daily or weekly?  Just how do you stay in control?

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

kgoeller
on 3/4/11 2:22 am - Doylestown, PA
Jill,

I have to plan - when I don't, I am all over the board with eating and find it very hard to remain on plan.

My planning is twofold.  I generally plan before I go to the grocery store (which I do weekly for my "main" order) so that I have 2 - 3 major prepared meals.  Those meals are designed to produce leftovers that can be taken for lunches or may be dinner for a couple of nights running.   For example, this week I made a chicken/leek crockpot soup that was dinner one night (for 4 of us) and lunch 2 days (for 2 of us).   I also stock up on my routine items for "safe" snacking - yogurt, apples, strawberries, cheese sticks, etc., so that I have a variety of good things to choose from.  I might buy a rotisserie chicken that I can debone and use to make chicken salad for several days' lunches.

My more important planning takes place nightly, as I organize my food and clothes for the next day.  My food gets portioned and "segmented" within the fridge so that the next morning all i have to do is grab my ice pack and put it all in my lunch bag and go.  I specify for myself "breakfast, snack, lunch, snack" (or on Mondays include dinner and third snack, as I'm at wor****il 10 pm).  I pack my clothes for work into my gym bag and lay out my gym clothes - that way i have no valid excuse for not getting to the gym the next morning.

This works well for me - takes about 15 minutes and is my daily gift to myself.  Now that hubby is working 4 am - noon, he's started doing the same thing at night and has been surprised at how much stress it takes off of his shoulders in the mornings.

K.
Happy to be in
Onederland

on 3/4/11 2:43 am, edited 3/4/11 2:45 am

I cook on the weekends and make up portioned packets to take to work for the week. I also buy a dozen eggs and hard boil them, then unshell them and put them into separate baggies for snacks. I buy a 36 pk. of Weigh****chers String Cheese and take a dozen at a time to work for snacks.  I buy a six pack of low fat cottage cheese and keep it at work for breakfast so I don't get caught up at home in the morning.  I keep a 1/2 gallon water bottle at home, in the car and at work with lots of 2qt. crystal light packets to mix up my drink for the day.  I keep a 32 oz. cup at work and at home to remind me to drink. I keep s/f peppermint gum on me to ward off foamies or indigestion if it should occur.  I make sure to check what I have left at work the day before incase I need to replenish anything.  I plan a rough draft for the week and tweek it the night before.  I don't bring things into my house that I shouldn't eat.  If I need to keep something in my house for a guest, I keep it high and unreachable as not to be in my constant sight when I open the cabinet. 

Your posing this question makes me ask what have you been doing since your surgery?

Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.

jastypes
on 3/10/11 4:59 am - Croydon, PA
Sorry, Nan, I missed your question at the end there!  Right after surgery I planned and kept logs of what I was eating.  At some point, I stopped writing.  Then it would come and go in spurts:  planning vs. not planning; eating out of control vs. eating the way I was supposed to.  I developed alcoholism and spent a whole lot of time trying to get that under control -- like 2 years!  Now that I am sober 9 months, I am trying to once again fight my food demons. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dr. Griffins
ballroomdancer810 · 0 replies · 1891 views
12 Years!
Boogaloo · 1 replies · 1988 views
And DS groups in PA
Katetolov · 0 replies · 2674 views